How It Happened:
Hot shooting from the outside in the first half by Dartmouth proved to be the difference as Rhode Island saw its seven-game win streak snapped tonight, 54-44.
After committing five turnovers in the first 10 possessions, Dartmouth began to heat up from the perimeter. The Big Green connected on 3-pointers on four consecutive possessions, taking a 16-7 lead with 11:21 to go in the half.
Dartmouth built as much as a 16-point lead (24-8, 8:46) as the Rams went without a field goal for more than eight minutes. The Big Green led by 17 at the break (31-14).
In the second half, the Rams chipped away at the lead getting as close as eight (52-44) with 21 ticks remaining.
Inside the Box Score
- Tayra Melendez tallied her first career double-double, with 12 points and a career-best 14 rebounds. The junior was 5-of-7 from the floor (1-2 3FG). Nine of her 12 rebounds were on the defensive end of the floor.
- Charise Wilson also scored in double digits, with 10 points. The freshman point guard added seven boards.
- Dominique Ward added nine boards and five points.
- The Rams connected on just 27.1 percent from the floor (16-of-59), including season lows from the 3-point line (10.0 percent, 2–for-20) and the charity stripe (40.0 percent, 10-for-25).
- Rhody's defense forced 25 turnovers and held Dartmouth to just 27.2% (6-22) shooting in the second half. URI tallied eight points off of turnovers on the evening.
- 18 of the Rams' 45 rebounds came on the offensive end and URI scored 22 of its 44 points in the paint.
Stat of the Game:
14 - Tayra Melendez' 14 boards are the most by a Rhody player this season and the fourth double-digit rebounding game by a Ram in 2014-15.
The Rams return to action in the New Year, opening Atlantic 10 play at home versus Duquesne on Saturday, Jan. 3 at 1 p.m. at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.