(photo by Gregory Fisher/SportsThroughTheLens.com)
Melendez, Wilson, Ward, Straumann, Tabakman
Botteghi, Baldwin, Robinson, Iiskola, Harris
How It Happened
Rhode Island won its fifth straight game, as freshmen Charise Wilson and Dominique Ward combined for 33 points to lead the Rams to a 63-56 victory over in-state rival Providence.
The Rams (6-3) led by as many as 11 points in the second half before Providence (3-6) made it a one-point game on a jumper by Alexis Harris with 2:10 to go. Wilson responded with a drive down the lane to make it 57-54 with 1:48 remaining.
From there, Rhode Island was able to ice the game at the free throw line, making a perfect 6-for-6 in the final 46 seconds. Ward, Tayra Melendez and Wilson all made both ends of their 1-and-1 opportunities to put the game away.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island won its fifth straight game, which is the team's longest winning streak since it opened the 2002-03 season with six victories in a row.
- Freshman Charise Wilson just missed her first career double-double, scoring 22 points and grabbing nine rebounds. She also had two assists and one steal. It was the third time Wilson has scored 20 or more, and her eighth straight game in double digits.
- Freshman Dominique Ward scored a career-high 11 points on 4-of-7 shooting. She also had five rebounds, two assists and one steal.
- Senior Sydney Lewis scored a season-high 11 points and grabbed six rebounds in a season-high 35 minutes.
- Junior Symone Bullard continued her strong season, scoring six points on 3-of-5 shooting in 23 minutes.
- This was the third game this season in which Rhode Island never trailed during the game.
Stat of the Game
9-for-10 – Rhode Island shot 9-for-10 at the free throw line, the team's best showing at the stripe this season.
The Rams play their third game in four days when they host Boston University Tuesday, Dec. 9. The game tips off at 7 p.m.