By Nick DeRegis
How It Happened:
Samantha Tabakman and Megan Straumann each hit two free throws within the last three seconds to ice the victory as Rhode Island withstood multiple comeback attempts by Brown in a 65-61 victory Wednesday, the third in a row for Rhode Island.
Rhody (4-3) led by eight points with 2:18 to play, but a scrappy Brown team fought back to tie the game at 61-61 with 14 seconds to go. The Rams put the game away at the free throw line, as Tabakman and Straumann sealed the victory at the stripe.
In the first half, URI did not trail, jumping out to a hot start with a 12-point lead (21-9, 9:07). But Brown finished the half on 12-2 run to tie the game at 30-30.
The Rams led by eight points (44-36) with 14:01 left in the second half before Brown (1-6) battled back again. The Bears outscored the Rams 11-2 over the next five minutes, taking a 47-46 lead with 9:10 to go. Just 15 seconds later, Tabakman hit a lay-up to go up 48-47 and the Rams would not trail the rest of the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Charise Wilson was one of three Rams scoring in double figures, with a team-high 13 points.
- Wilson also had a season-high eight rebounds, also a team high.
- Tabakman and Straumann each scored 11 points on the night.
- Tabakman added seven rebounds and hit 5-of-6 from the free throw line.
- Straumann grabbed three rebounds notched three steals in 39 minutes of play.
- Of the Rams 65 points in the night, 42 were in the paint and 28 were off turnovers.
- Rhody reserves contributed 20 points, led by Sydney Lewis' eight.
- Brown narrowly out rebounded the Rams, 43-42, including a 16-15 edge on the offensive glass.
- Freshman Dominique Ward earned her collegiate start. She finished with six points, three rebounds, two assists and two steals in 25 minutes.
The Rams host Central Connecticut on Saturday, Dec. 6 at 1 p.m. at the Ryan Center.