Melendez, Wallack, Whittaker, Lewis, Tabakman
Agunbiade, Szecsi, Moore, Bresnahan, Robinson
Points: Lewis (11)
Rebounds: Tabakman (8)
Assists: Melendez (3)
Steals: Whittaker (3)
Blocked Shots: Tabakman (2)
Minutes Played: Whittaker, Tabakman (38)
Points: Robinson (13)
Rebounds: Szecsi, Moore (9)
Assists: Bresnahan (3)
Steals: Bresnahan (6)
Blocked Shots: Johnson (4)
Minutes Played: Szesci, Moore, Robinson (33)
How it Happened:
No.11 Rhode Island (7-23) saw its season come to an end with a 61-53 loss to No. 6 Duquesne in the first round of the Atlantic 10 Championship Thursday.
As happened throughout the season, the Rams battled and kept the game close. Trailing by 10 points with 10:53 to go, Rhode Island managed to cut the deficit to four points on a Tati Johnson layup with 2:12 remaining. Following a defensive stop, the Rams had a fast-break opportunity with a chance to make it a one-possession game, but they turned the ball over to negate a two-on-one.
Following the turnover, Duquesne (19-11) got a jumper from Wumi Agunbiade to go back up by six. The Dukes hit their free throws down the stretch to secure the win and advance to the tournament quarterfinals against No. 3 Fordham Friday.
Inside the Box Score:
- Thursday night's game was a rematch of the regular season finale. Duquesne edged the Rams five days ago, 54-51, at the Ryan Center.
- Thursday marked the first time since the 2002-03 season Rhode Island has faced the same opponent three times in a season. The Rams lost twice in the regular season to Saint Joseph's before beating the Hawks in the A-10 quarterfinals that year.
- The last time Rhode Island lost three times in one season to the same opponent was during the 1994-95 season, when the Rams fell to Saint Joseph's three times.
- Sophomore Tayra Melendez entered the game needing two points to reach 600 for her career. She finished with six points and now has 604 through the first 52 games of her career.
- To put the scoring pace into perspective, Rhode Island's last 1,000-point scorer was Megan Shoniker, who had 445 points through her first two seasons, covering 61 games.
- Senior Kerry Wallack reached 500 career rebounds with her third board of the night. The captain finished her career with 549 points, 504 rebounds, 100 assists and 50 steals.
- Rhode Island led by as many as six points before Duquesne went on a 10-0 run over the final 3:49 of the first half.
- Junior Teneka Whittaker had nine points, three rebounds and three steals.
- Junior Sydney Lewis scored a team-high 11 points, while sophomore Tati Johnson also reached double figures with 10 points.
- Sophomore Samantha Tabakman added eight points and eight rebounds. Rhode Island outscored Duquesne 36-26 in the paint.
- Duquesne blocked eight shots, with a game-high four from Jose-Ann Johnson.
- The Rams were able to contain all-conference pick Wumi Agunbiade, limiting the Duquesne star to six points and two rebounds. In the first two meetings, she averaged 16.5 points and 10 rebounds against Rhody.
- The Dukes had three players score in double digits. April Robinson had a game-high 13 points, while Raegan Moore and Olivia Bresnahan added 12 each.
- Rhode Island is now 13-28 all time in the Atlantic 10 Championship.
Stat of the Game:
15 – Duquesne scored 15 points off 12 Rhode Island turnovers in the second half.