Wallack, Banker, Whittaker, Lewis, Tabakman
Saint Louis Starters:
Price, Jakubicek, Ball, Nelson, Womack
Points: Tabakman (17)
Rebounds: Lewis (9)
Assists: Bullard (5)
Steals: Whittaker (3)
Blocked Shots: Bullard, Lewis, Johnson (1)
Minutes Played: Whittaker, Lewis (31)
Saint Louis Leaders:
Points: Nelson (16)
Rebounds: Womack (15)
Assists: Jakubicek, Ball, Womack (3)
Steals: Four playes (1)
Blocked Shots: Stipanovich (1)
Minutes Played: Ball (40)
How it Happened:
Rhode Island (7-20, 2-12 A-10) kept the score close throughout, but came up short at Saint Louis, 57-53 Wednesday night.
Saint Louis (11-15, 6-7 A-10) opened the game on a 7-0 run and never surrendered the lead. Rhode Island was able to tie the game twice in the second half, but the Billikens responded to each Rhody rally with just enough offense to keep the Rams at bay.
The Billikens were led by Erin Nelson, who scored 16 points. Nelson made four of her first five 3-point attempts, which opened the paint for Denisha Womack, who had a double-double with 15 points and 15 rebounds.
Inside the Box Score:
- Sophomore Samantha Tabakman led Rhode Island with 17 points. She added eight rebounds and one blocked shot.
- Juniors Teneka Whittaker and Sydney Lewis each had nine points for the Rams. Of the 18 points by Whittaker and Lewis, 16 came after halftime.
- Whittaker had three steals and was a perfect 4-for-4 at the free throw line.
- Lewis had a team-high nine rebounds.
- Sophomore Symone Bullard had seven points, a game-high five assists and three rebounds in 26 minutes off the bench.
- Rhode Island had a strong night at the free throw line, hitting 13-of-18 attempts.
- Rhode Island's bench outscore the Saint Louis bench, 16-5.
- With three blocked shots tonight, Rhode Island has 103 for the season. It is the first time since the 1980-81 season the Rams have had more than 100 in one season.
Stat of the Game:
6 – Saint Louis made six 3-point baskets, while Rhode Island was held to 0-for-5 from beyond the arc.
Rhody plays its final road game of the season when it heads to Massachusetts Sunday, Feb. 23 at 2 p.m.