Wallack, Banker, Whittaker, Lewis, Tabakman
Hill, Bomben, Harris, Timbilla, Mital
Points: Banker (19)
Rebounds: Wallack (10)
Assists: Wallack (4)
Steals: Whittaker (4)
Blocked Shots: Tabakman (1)
Minutes Played: Wallack (36)
Points: Harris, Mital (13)
Rebounds: Timbilla (13)
Assists: Timbilla (4)
Steals: Mital (3)
Blocked Shots: Hill, Timbilla (1)
Minutes Played: Timbilla (38)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (6-17, 2-8 A-10) snapped a five-game skid by keeping Massachusetts winless in Atlantic 10 action with a 73-64 victory on Wednesday.
Redshirt freshman Kallie Banker helped the Rams build an eight-point halftime lead with 10 points on a perfect 4-for-4 shooting from the floor. Rhody maintained its advantage throughout the second half and never allowed Massachusetts (3-20, 0-9 A-10) to get closer than four points the rest of the way.
Inside the Box Score
- The Rams connected on 70 percent (21-30) of their attempts from the free throw line. The 21 makes were URI's second-most in a game this season as Rhody's best performance from the line came against Vermont (29-45) on Dec. 14.
- The 70-percent showing marked the seventh time this season that the Rams shoot 70% or better from the charity stripe.
- Rhode Island held a 43-33 advantage on the boards despite being out-rebounded 21-19 in the first half. The Rams have now out-rebounded their opponent in 4-of-10 Atlantic 10 matchups.
- Redshirt freshman Kallie Banker led all players with a career-high 19 points on 7-of-10 shooting. She also matched her career-best with six rebounds while dishing out three assists.
- Banker has how scored in double figures in five of the Rams' last seven games.
- Junior Teneka Whittaker also set a new career-high in scoring with 12 points, including a perfect 6-of-6 showing from the free throw line. She recorded a game-best four steals as well.
- Senior Kerry Wallack registered 11 points and 10 rebounds for her fifth double-double of the season and sixth of her career. She also dished out a game-leading four assists.
- Sophomore Samantha Tabakman made her first start since Rhody's Dec. 21 loss to Providence. She narrowly missed her first career double-double, recording nine points and nine rebounds in 21 minutes of action
- Sophomore Brianna Thomas made her return to the Rhody lineup after missing the Rams' last 11 games with an injury. She logged 13 minutes off the bench and finished with two points, three rebounds, one assist and one steal.
- For the first time this season, Rhode Island was without the services of leading scorer Tayra Melendez (12.9 ppg). The sophomore guard became the seventh different Rhode Island player to miss a game due to injury this season.
Rhode Island is back in action on Saturday night at La Salle. Tipoff is set for 8:30 p.m.