Melendez, Wallack, Whittaker, Palmer, Lewis
George Mason Starters:
Mohamed, Pickard, Jacobs, Brown, Watts
Points: Wallack (16)
Rebounds: Lewis (10)
Assists: Whittaker (4)
Steals: Melendez, Lewis, Banker (1)
Blocked Shots: Melendez (3)
Minutes Played: Wallack (39)
George Mason Leaders:
Points: Brown (14)
Rebounds: Dawson (7)
Assists: Dawson (2)
Steals: Pickard, Brown, Jackson (1)
Blocked Shots: Pickard, Ngoie, Strickland (1)
Minutes Played: Brown (36)
How it Happened:
Rhode Island (6-11, 1-3 A-10) won by its largest margin in an Atlantic 10 game in 10 seasons, defeating George Mason 59-40 Saturday.
The victory was the largest in conference play for the Rams since a 69-49 win over Dayton on March 5, 2004. Rhode Island's defense was the key, as Rhody held the Patriots (6-11, 0-4 A-10) to nearly 32 below their season scoring average (71.8 ppg).
The Rams built a 10-point lead at the half by limiting George Mason to 19 points. It was the first time this season the Patriots failed to reach 20 points in a half.
Inside the Box Score:
- Kerry Wallack reached double figures in scoring for the sixth time this season, netting a game-high 16 points. She also had eight rebounds, three assists and two blocked shots.
- Wallack shot 3-for-4 from 3-point range, leading a Rhody effort in which the Rams were 6-for-11 from beyond the arc.
- Redshirt freshman Kallie Banker had a career-high 13 points off the bench. She added three assists, one block and one steal with no turnovers in 29 minutes.
- Sophomore Tayra Melendez had three blocked shots, giving her 62 for her career. She needs just one more to tie Rebecca Bright for fifth place in school history.
- At one point in the second half, the Rams led 54-34. It was the biggest lead for the team this season.
- Junior Sydney Lewis had 10 rebounds and six points.
- Saturday marked just the seventh time in its last 100 games George Mason was held to 40 or fewer points.
- The eight turnovers for Rhode Island was its fewest of the season. The previous low was 10 against NJIT on Dec. 7.
Stat of the Game:
31.8 – Rhode Island held George Mason 31.8 points below the Patriots season scoring average.
Rhody is off for a week before it heads to Duquesne Saturday, Jan. 18. Game time is set for 2 p.m.