Melendez, Wallack, Whittaker, Palmer, Lewis
St. Joseph's Starters:
Gotfrida, Shields, Andrews, Berger, Fairbanks
Points: Wallack, Lewis (8)
Rebounds: Wallack (7)
Assists: Melendez (4)
Steals: Banker (2)
Blocked Shots: Melendez (3)
Minutes Played: Wallack (39)
Saint Joseph's Leaders:
Points: Andrews (13)
Rebounds: Gotfrida (10)
Assists: Shields (6)
Steals: Andrews (3)
Blocked Shots: Gomez (3)
Minutes Played: Andrews (27)
How it Happened:
Rhode Island (5-11, 0-3 A-10) suffered its worst loss of the season, falling 72-35 at Saint Joseph's on Wednesday.
The Hawks (12-3, 2-1 A-10) shot 44.7 percent from the floor and were a perfect 12-for-12 from the free throw line in the opening half. The strong shooting helped St. Joe's open a 21-point lead less than 13 minutes into the game. The Hawks maintained the 20-point lead for much of the remainder of the game.
Inside the Box Score:
- With her first basket of the game, sophomore Tayra Melendez reached 500 points for her career. She finished with seven points, four assists and three blocked shots.
- Sydney Lewis scored eight points on 4-of-5 shooting.
- Senior Kerry Wallack had eight points and seven rebounds. Her streak of seven straight games with eight or more boards was snapped.
- St. Joe's dominated on the glass, winning the rebound battle 45-25.
- The Hawks also enjoyed a significant edge in free throws. St. Joe's was 16-for-18, while Rhode Island was just 3-for-6. St. Joe's was whistled for just 11 fouls for the game.
- Rhody freshman Kallie Banker had four points, two assists, two steals and two rebounds off the bench.
- Wednesday marked URI's ninth different starting lineup in 16 games as freshman Kiara Palmer earned her first career start against the Hawks.
Stat of the Game:
54 – With Tati Johnson out due to injury, Rhode Island's players have missed a combined 54 games due to injury. Emilie Cloutier, Morgan Johnson, Brianna Thomas, Samantha Tabakman and Tati Johnson all missed Wednesday's game. Cloutier and Morgan Johnson have missed all 16 games, while Wednesday was the first missed game due to injury for Tati Johnson.
Rhody heads home to host George Mason on Saturday, Jan. 11. Game time is set for 2 p.m.