Melendez, Wallack, Banker, Bullard, Tabakman
Boston University Starters
Agboola, Turner, Poppe, Callahan, Latham
How it Happened
Rhode Island trailed by as many as 15 points in the second half (40-25, 14:12 left) but fought back with a 20-6 run to cut it to one, as Sydney Lewis connected on two free throws with 1:55 to play to make it 46-45. Kerry Wallack drained 3-pointers on back-to-back possessions and had eight of Rhody's 20 points during the run.
After a BU trey made it 51-47 with just under a minute to play, Tayra Melendez earned a trip to the line, making both FT attempts. Rhody forced a turnover on its next defensive trip down the floor down 51-49, but was whistled for an illegal screen with just under seven seconds to go. A 3-point attempt from Kallie Banker rattled in-and-out at the buzzer.
Inside the Box Score
- Tayra Melendez led the Rams with 16 points, while also adding five boards, two steals and an assist in 35 minutes. She scored 10 of her 16 in the first half.
- Sydney Lewis registered a double-double coming off the bench, with 12 points and 12 boards. She connected on 4-of-7 from the floor. Six of her 12 boards were on the offensive glass.
- Lewis' strong play sparked the Rhody bench with 19 points on the afternoon.
- Kerry Wallack narrowly missed a double-double, with nine points and 10 rebounds.
- Point guard Kallie Banker had a team-high three assists.
- The Rams outrebounded BU 46-44, and won the turnover battle, committing 13 compared to 14 for the Terriers. URI had 16 offensive rebounds, accounting for six second chance points.
- Rhody connected on just 11-of-20 from the charity stripe (55.0%). Conversely, BU was 11-24 (45.8%) from the foul line.
Rhody hosts Northeastern on Wednesday, Nov. 20 at the Alex and Ani Court at the Thomas M. Ryan Center. Game time is 7 p.m.