Melendez, Wallack, Banker, Bullard, Tabakman
Central Connecticut Starters
Watras, Babe, Arbogast, Bailey, Thomas
Points: Melendez (20)
Rebounds: Palmer (6)
Assists: Melendez, Bullard (2)
Steals: 5 players (1)
Blocked Shots: Melendez, Tabakman, Johnson (1)
Minutes Played: Melendez (34)
Central Connecticut Leaders
Points: Babe (17)
Rebounds: Harrington (7)
Assists: Babe (4)
Steals: Babe (4)
Blocked Shots: Harrington (2)
Minutes Played: Babe (38)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (0-2) tied the game with 2:52 remaining on a Tayra Melendez layup, but Central Connecticut responded with back-to-back 3-pointers by Lauren Wolosik and Jessica Babe and held the Rams off en route to a 65-58 victory Wednesday.
A 3-pointer from Kallie Banker pulled Rhode Island back within three points, but that was as close as the Rams got the rest of the way. Central Connecticut (1-2) won for the third straight time in the series.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Tayra Melendez led the Rams with 20 points, just one off her career high. She added five rebounds.
- Sophomore Symone Bullard also finished one off her career best, finishing with nine points , two rebounds and two assists.
- Freshman Kiara Palmer had a career-high six rebounds, all of which came in the first half. She led the team in rebounding for the second straight game.
- Redshirt freshman Kallie Banker had seven points.
- The Rams outrebounded CCSU 35-32, and won the turnover battle, committing 16 compared to 20 for the Blue Devils.
- All 10 Rhode Island players who played scored at least two points.
- Rhode Island stayed in the game with strong free throw shooting. The Rams were 13-of-17 (76 percent) in the first half.
- In the second half, Central Connecticut enjoyed a big advantage at the line. The Blue Devils were 13-of-18 at the stripe, while Rhody was 2-for-2 after the break.
Rhody is back on the road when it travels to Boston University Saturday, Nov. 16. Game time is 1 p.m.