Wallack, Banker, Bullard, Thomas, Tabakman
Green, Buchanan, Bell, Richards, Johnson
Points: Thomas (10)
Rebounds: Palmer (4)
Assists: Bullard (6)
Steals: Palmer (2)
Blocked Shots: Tabakman, Thomas (1)
Minutes Played: Banker, Tabakman, Thomas (27)
Points: Buchanan, Green (15)
Rebounds: Green (13)
Assists: Richards (3)
Steals: Johnson (4)
Blocked Shots: Bell, Buchanan, Caracciolo (1)
Minutes Played: Bell (34)
How it Happened:
Rhode Island (0-1) played a strong second half, but it was not enough as the Rams dropped the season opener 64-43 to Delaware Friday.
After falling behind by as many as 21 points in the first half, Rhody was able to cut the deficit to as little as 10 points after the break. However, Delaware (1-0) pulled away down the stretch.
The Blue Hens had four players reach double digits, led by Courtni Green and Kelsey Buchanan with 15 apiece. Shanice Johnson and Joy Caracciolo added 11 each. Delaware shot 46.7 percent from the floor in the first half to build its advantage.
Inside the Box Score:
- Sophomore Brianna Thomas led the Rams with 10 points. She added two rebounds and one block.
- Senior Kerry Wallack had seven points and three rebounds in 17 minutes before fouling out.
- Sophomore Symone Bullard had a strong game distributing the ball, finishing with six assists.
- Kallie Banker started in her Rhode Island debut. Banker is a redshirt freshman. She had five points, two rebounds and one assist.
- Also making their debuts for the Rams were freshmen Kiara Palmer and Dempsey Cooper. Palmer had seven points, four rebounds and two steals.
- Rhode Island shot 37.5 percent from the floor in the second half after being held to 16.7 percent in the opening 20 minutes.
Rhody plays its first road game of the season when it travels to Central Connecticut Wednesday, Nov. 13. Game time is 7 p.m.