Melendez, Thomas, Straumann, Gaspar, Johnson
George Washington Starters:
Miller, Shipp, Jackson, Nipe, Booker
Points: Melendez (17)
Rebounds: Melendez (7)
Assists: Melendez, Straumann, Thomas (2)
Steals: Wallack (2)
Blocked Shots: Melendez (5)
Minutes Played: Melendez (38)
George Washington Leaders:
Points: Booker, Shipp (12)
Rebounds: Mostafa (11)
Assists: Jackson (4)
Steals: Miller (10)
Blocked Shots: Mostafa (3)
Minutes Played: Nipe, Booker (33)
How it Happened:
Rhode Island led 7-6 four after four minutes of play, but a 16-0 George Washington run put the Colonials on top 22-7 midway through the half. The Rams held the Colonials to just 10 points the rest of the half, while scoring 21 of their own to come within four (32-28) at the break. The freshman tandem of Tayra Melendez and Brianna Thomas combined for 17 points over the stretch.
The Colonials held the Rams to just six points over the first 12 minutes of the second half and remained in control the rest of the way, eventually posting the 57-43 win.
Inside the Box Score:
- With the loss, Rhode Island drops to 5-15 (0-5) while George Washington improves to 8-11 (2-3).
- The Rams shot 28.3 percent (15-for-54) from the field, while the Colonials shot 36.2 percent (21-for-58).
- Melendez led all players with 17 points. She also set a career-high in free throws made (7) and matched her career-best with five blocked shots. Melendez has now scored in double figures 10 times and has been URI's top scorer on eight different occasions.
- Emilie Cloutier returned to the Rhody lineup after missing the last three games with an injury. She finished with six points and six rebounds in 19 minutes of play.
- GW held an edge in rebounds with 46 compared to Rhody's 39.
- Rhode Island committed 18 turnovers, leading to 16 points for the Colonials. The Rams scored 16 points off of George Washington's 13 turnovers.
- GW's bench scored 12 points while URI's subs combined for eight.
- Rhody was 44.4 percent from beyond the arch (4-for-9). George Washington shot 33.3 percent (2-for-6) from three-point range.
- Shi-Heria Shipp and Tara Booker led the Colonials with 12 points apiece. Chakecia Miller recorded a game-high 10 steals.
The Rams return to the Ryan Center on Saturday, Feb. 2, when they face Saint Joseph's at 2 p.m.