Boone, Cloutier, Thomas, Straumann, Gaspar
La Salle Starters:
Wilson, Mosley, Dickens, Jones, Harrison
Points: Thomas (15)
Rebounds: Gaspar (8)
Assists: Boone, Thomas, Straumann, Whittaker (2)
Steals: Straumann (7)
Blocked Shots: None
Minutes Played: Thomas (35)
La Salle Leaders:
Points: Wilson (17)
Rebounds: Wilson (10)
Assists: Wilson, Jones (4)
Steals: Mosley (4)
Blocked Shots: Dickens, Dupree (2)
Minutes Played: Wilson, Jones, Bryant (30)
How it Happened:
La Salle controlled play over the opening half of the first frame, leading Rhode Island 17-6 midway through and pushing its advantage to 10 (22-12) by the final media timeout (3:53). From there, the Rams closed things out with a 7-0 run to make it a three-point (22-19) game by the break.
The teams kept it close through opening minutes of the second half, with Rhody finally knotting the score at 35-35 after a free throw by Teneka Whittaker with 14:43 on the clock. However, the Explorers stormed ahead with a 15-0 run over the next six minutes to move ahead 50-35. From there, Rhode Island managed just four makes from the field over the final nine minutes as La Salle cruised to the 72-46 win.
Inside the Box Score:
- With the loss, Rhode Island falls to 5-11 (0-1) while La Salle improves to 5-11 (1-0).
- The Rams shot just 28 percent (15-53) from the field while the Explorers were 27-of-63 for a 43-percent performance on the afternoon.
- La Salle also held a 47-36 rebounding advantage and blocked six shots while forcing the Rams into 25 turnovers, including two shot clock violations.
- Brianna Thomas matched her career best with a team-high 15 points.
- Megan Straumann also scored in double figures for the Rams, as she finished with 14 points and a career-best seven steals.
- Brittany Wilson (17), Jordan Mosley (12), Michea Bryant (11) and Shanel Harrison (10) all scored in double figures for La Salle. Wilson also had a game-high 10 boards.
The Rams return to action on Wednesday, Jan. 16, when they return to the Ryan Center to host Charlotte at 7 p.m. The game will be televised, locally, on OSN (Cox ch. 5/1005 HD).