Melendez, Whittaker, Thomas, Gaspar, Tabakman
LeBlanc, Paladino, Andrade, Burns, O'Dell
Points: Tabakman (21)
Rebounds: Gaspar, Wallack (6)
Assists: Gaspar (7)
Steals: Melendez, Whittaker (3)
Blocked Shots: Melendez (2)
Minutes Played: Thomas (25)
Points: O'Dell (14)
Rebounds: Andrade (6)
Assists: Sewall (4)
Steals: O'Dell (3)
Blocked Shots: O'Dell, Cline (1)
Minutes Played: O'Dell (29)
How it Happened:
Rhode Island (5-6) used its considerable height advantage en route to an 89-60 victory over Rhode Island College Sunday. The Rams scored 60 points in the paint, while RIC (6-3) was limited to 18. Rhode Island also enjoyed a 36-28 edge in rebounds.
After a 7-0 first half run by RIC made the score 25-20, Rhode Island went on a 21-0 run of its own to open up a 26-point lead. Freshman Samantha Tabakman led the way, scoring all of her game-high 21 points in the first half.
Inside the Box Score:
- Freshman Samantha Tabakman scored the first six points of the game and finished with a game-high 21 points. She was 9-of-12 from the floor.
- Senior Lara Gaspar filled the stat sheet, scoring 16 points on 8-of-10 shooting, dishing out a career-high seven assists and grabbing six rebounds. The seven assists were the most by a Ram this season.
- Also scoring in double digits were freshman Tayra Melendez with 14 points and senior Ajanae Boone, who added 13 points and made three 3-pointers.
- The Rams had assists on eight of their first nine field goals. Overall, Rhode Island tied the program's single-game record and set a Ryan Center record with 28 assists. Eight different players had at least one assist.
- Rhode Island made its first five shots from the floor and shot a season-best 62.5 percent (40-of-64) on field goal attempts.
- The 89 points scored was a season high for Rhode Island, as was the 53 points in the first half. It was the highest point total since the Rams scored a Ryan Center record 91 points against Charlotte on Jan. 26, 2007.
- All 11 Rams who dressed for the game played, and 10 players logged at least 12 minutes of action.
Rhody is back in action Saturday, Dec. 22 when it travels to Providence. Game time is set for 1 p.m.