Women's Basketball Drops 57-49 Overtime Decision to Central Connecticut
Tayra Melendez, Emilie Cloutier, Lara Gaspar, Kerry Wallack, Symone Bullard
Central Connecticut Starters:
Jaleen Thomas, Kirsten Daamen, Jaclyn Babe, Kaley Watras, Jessica Babe
Points: Brianna Thomas (14)
Rebounds: Samantha Tabakman (9)
Assists: Lara Gaspar (4)
Steals: Tayra Melendez (2), Kerry Wallack (2), Symone Bullard (2), Brianna Thomas (2)
Blocked Shots: Samantha Tabakman (6)
Minutes Played: Samantha Tabakman (35)
Central Connecticut Leaders:
Points: Jaclyn Babe (17)
Rebounds: Jessica Babe (9)
Assists: Jessica Babe (3)
Steals: Jaclyn Babe (6)
Blocked Shots: Jaclyn Babe (1), Johnna Fisher (1)
Minutes Played: Jaclyn Babe (38), Kaley Watras (38), Jessica Babe (38)
Inside the Box Score:
- With six blocked shots on the night, Tabakman matched the single-game record at Rhode Island, set by Chrys Washington in 2005.
- The Rams shot 36.5% (19-52) from the field while holding the Blue Devils to a 31.1% (23-74) showing on the night.
- Both teams hit 9-of-13 attempts from the foul line.
- Central Connecticut held a 49-40 rebounding advantage on the night and finished with 14 steals.
- The Rams dished out 15 assists, but committed 27 turnovers which led directly to 13 of CCSU's points.
- URI's non-starters combined for 24 points and 22 rebounds. Thomas came off the bench to score a team-high 14 points while Tabakman pulled down a game-best nine rebounds.
- The game featured six lead changes and three ties.
- The largest lead for either team was eight points as Rhody was on top 39-31 with 8:31 remaining in regulation and CCSU finished the game ahead 57-49.
- Rhode Island outscored Central Connecticut 26-20 over the first 20 minutes, but the Blue Devils netted 25 second-half points to URI's 19.
- URI led for the majority of the second frame. CCSU did not pull ahead until Kirsten Daamen hit a jumper with less than three minutes remaining in the game. Rhode Island moved back in front after a basket by Tabakman and a pair of free throws by Thomas made the score 45-42 but Jaclyn Babe hit an off-balanced three-pointer to knot things up just before time expired.
- Central Connecticut then outscored Rhode Island, 12-4, in overtime.
- Gaspar made her return to the Rhody lineup after missing all of last season with an injury. She finished the night with 10 points, eight rebounds and a game-best four steals.
- Rhode Island's freshmen accounted for 26 of the team's 49 points (Thomas-14, Tabakman-8, Bullard-4)
- Jaclyn Babe (17) and Jessica Babe (11) both scored in double figures for the Blue Devils.
Rhody returns to the Ryan Center for a Tuesday night meeting with Bryant. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. Rhode Island is 1-1 in the all-time series vs. Bryant, most recently dropping a 75-62 decision last season in Smithfield, R.I.
- 09/11/14: Atlantic 10 Releases Women's...
- 07/27/14: Melendez, Puerto Rico Take Second...
- 07/21/14: Melendez to Play for Puerto Rico at...
- 06/26/14: La-Force Announces Full Staff for...
- 06/26/14: Video Boards and Ribbon Wrap Among...
- 06/23/14: Pink Out Check Presented to Gloria...
- 06/23/14: La-Force Adds Top 60 Point Guard...
- 06/02/14: Former Ram Lara Gaspar Named to...
- 05/22/14: Join URI Athletics and the Alumni...
- 05/19/14: La-Force Officially Introduced as...
- 05/19/14: Women's Basketball Releases 2014-15...
- 05/14/14: Fans Invited to Meet & Greet...
- 05/07/14: Daynia La-Force Named Women's...
- 04/11/14: VIDEO: "Thank You, You Really...
- 03/28/14: Contract Will Not Be Renewed for...
- 03/07/14: Michele Washington Honored as 2014...
- 03/06/14: Season Ends for Rams With First-Rou...
- 03/05/14: Rams, Duquesne Square Off Thursday...
- 03/05/14: Melendez Names to CollegeSportsMadn...
- 03/02/14: Rams to Face Duquesne in Opening...
@ Brooklyn, N.Y.