Harvard Beantown Challenge
Gordon Indoor Track - Boston, Mass.
The Rhode Island Men's Track and Field team began their indoor schedule with a trip to Boston for the Beantown Challenge hosted by Harvard on Saturday, Jan. 13. The Rams won the event, tallying 113 points. They defeated UMass Lowell (112), Harvard (98) Northeastern (92), Stonehill (58), UMass Amherst (52) and Holy Cross (13).
- Senior Nigel Riley finished second in the triple jump with a mark of 14.34 meters.
- Senior John Kahrs placed first in the high jump with a jump of 2.07 meters. Eric Wicks finished third (1.99 meters).
- Freshman Childress Cannon took first in the long jump with a 7.00 meter jump.
- Senior Darrik Muroski finished fifth in the shot put finals with a 15.57 meter throw.
- Senior Casey Burley finished just behind him in third (14.32 meters) and Senior Abdul-Lateef Orulebaja finished fifth (13.88 meters).
- Senior Brandon Amo placed first in the weight throw with a personal record mark of 18.49 meters. Senior Mahlik Handley finished third (17.43 meters) and junior Olusegun Vadis finished fifth (16.41 meters).
- Sophomore Drew Nealey finished fifth in the pole vault (4.65 meters).
- Junior Adam Franklin finished fourth in the 60 meter hurdles finals with a time of 8.24 seconds.
- Senior Nigel Hill finished third in the 60 meter dash finals in 6.91 seconds.
- Junior De'Von McGriff finished the 500 meter dash in 1:05.84, good for fifth place.
The Rams' multi-event competitors will take part in the URI Heptathlon on Wednesday, Jan. 17 at 2 p.m. and Thursday, Jan. 18 at 10 a.m. The rest of the team will host the Sorlien Memorial Invitational on Saturday, Jan. 20 starting at 11 a.m.