How It Happened:
With just 59 seconds remaining in regulation, redshirt sophomore Joey Haught scored off a free kick by freshman Mike Casey, giving the Rhode Island men's soccer team it's first win of the season in a 1-0 victory at Bryant, Friday afternoon. Redshirt senior goalkeeper Peyton Warwick made seven saves in net to post his first shutout of the season.
Inside the Box Score:
- Rhode Island held a slight 18-17 advantage in total shots but Bryant had a 7-4 edge in shots on goal.
- The Rams recorded six corner kicks, compared to the Bulldogs' four.
- Bryant committed 25 fouls to Rhody's 16.
- The Bulldogs also collected four yellow cards while URI had three.
- Rhode Island freshman Matt Sykes picked up his second yellow of the game in the 72nd minute, forcing the Rams to play a man down the rest of the way.
- For the third straight game, Sykes led the Rams with five shots. Junior Matt Ribbens also had five attempts for URI.
- Warwick finished with seven saves to pick up the shutout victory while George Spanos turned away three shots for the Bulldogs.
- The win improves Rhody to 2-0-0 in the all-time series vs. Bryant.
- The victory also snaps a four-game losing streak for the Rams, dating back to last season. Additionally, it marks URI's first road win since defeating the Bulldogs in the consolation match of last year's Ocean State Soccer Classic (hosted by Brown) on Sept. 6.
- Warwick earned his second career shutout in the win.
- In each of the last two seasons, URI has netted a late game winner against the Bulldogs as the Rams' final goal in last year's 3-2 victory came at 88:19.
- Because of the double yellow and resulting ejection, Sykes will have to sit out the next game for Rhode Island.
- Sykes' double-yellow ejection is the Rams' second of the season as Ribbens also picked up two yellow cards in the season opener at New Hampshire.
- Junior Robby Gargaro has not missed a game - or a start - since joining the Rams in 2009. As a freshman, he started in each of URI's 20 matches and went on to start all 18 games last season. Friday's contest against Bryant extended Gargaro's streak to 41 consecutive starts.
The Rams (1-2-0) will take on Providence (2-1-0) in the championship game of the Ocean State Soccer Classic on Monday night at 7:30 p.m. Brown (0-1-0) and Bryant (0-1-0), meanwhile, will face off in the consolation game at 5 p.m. Both matches will be played at the URI Soccer Complex in Kingston, R.I.