|Last School:||1st year|
Tony Bassett joined Gareth Elliott's staff in February of
2014. He came to Rhode Island after spending the past two
seasons as an assistant with the University of New Hampshire men's
In his final season at New Hampshire (2013), Bassett helped guide the Wildcats to a 12-5-1 finish. UNH advanced to the semifinals of the America East Tournament, eventually falling to Hartford in penalty kicks. It marked the second year in a row that New Hampshire was eliminated from the conference championship on PK's as the 2012 Wildcats advanced to the AE title game, only to lose to UMBC in a shootout.
While at UNH, Bassett helped mentor four NSCAA All-Northeast Region Team players, six America East All-Conference selections, four All-Rookie players and three All-Academic picks in addition to the 2013 America East Goalkeeper of the Year.
Bassett also worked with Seacoast United (Hampton, N.H.) both on the boys and girls sides. In 2012-13, he was heavily involved with the Junior Academy, as well as the U18 U.S. Soccer Developmental Academy team. In 2013-14, he was the head coach of the U16 Boys Premier team, as well as a U10 Girls Junior Academy group.
No stranger to the Atlantic 10 Conference, Bassett also spent
three seasons as an assistant coach at his alma mater, the
University of Massachusetts. There, his responsibilities included
organizing training sessions, scouting opponents, recruiting
nationally and internationally, video editing, alumni relations,
organizing and running youth camps and goalkeeper
During his tenure at UMass, Bassett coached three All-New England players, nine Atlantic 10 All-Conference selections and five Academic All-Conference student-athletes.
Bassett also has vast experience in coaching at both club and Olympic Development Program (ODP) levels. Working with Western United's Youth Developmental Academy right after graduation, Bassett moved on to FC Massachusetts in 2011-12 where he worked with the U-10, U-13, U-14 and U-15 New England Premier League boys teams.
In June of 2011, he received his Advanced National Diploma from NSCAA, a year after receiving his U.S. Soccer National "C" License. In March of 2012 Bassett attended the Ajax Futbol Club Coaches Symposium in Amsterdam, and earned his Ajax Youth Academy Coaching Certification. One year later, he received his U.S. Soccer Federation "B" Coaching License in Rome, Ga.
A four-year member of the UMass men's soccer team, Bassett saw action in 61 games for the Minutemen - as both a central midfielder and a left back - from 2005-08.
In 2006, the Minutemen were ranked as high as 22nd nationally. The following season, they captured the Atlantic 10 Championship and made a historic run to the College Cup in Cary, N.C. Massachusetts finished the 2007 campaign ranked fourth in the country.
Despite battling injuries during his senior season (2008), Bassett moved to the left back position and helped lead UMass to the program's first-ever at-large bid to the NCAA tournament.
- 09/18/14: In Case You Missed It: All Three...
- 09/17/14: Rhode Island Downs Sacred Heart,...
- 09/16/14: Rams Host Sacred Heart on Wednesday...
- 09/15/14: #SAOTW: Leifhelm and Kinnan Named...
- 09/15/14: In Case You Missed It: Matt Sykes'...
- 09/14/14: Leifhelm, Rams Blank Yale, 1-0, on...
- 09/12/14: Rams Allow Early Goal, Unable to...
- 09/11/14: Rams Welcome Lehigh on Friday, Yale...
- 09/08/14: #SAOTW: Darnold, Lamb and Murray...
- 09/07/14: Rams Blanked by Eagles, 3-0
- 09/04/14: Lamb, Rams Take Down NJIT, 2-0
- 09/03/14: Rams Host NJIT on Thursday, Travel...
- 08/31/14: Men's Soccer Drops 5-1 Battle at...
- 08/29/14: Rhody Draws With Seton Hall in 2014...
- 08/28/14: Men's Soccer Hosts Seton Hall in...
- 08/28/14: Elliott Announces Addition of James...
- 08/27/14: Men's Soccer to Hold Walk-On Tryout
- 08/26/14: Leifhelm Earns Atlantic 10...
- 08/23/14: Rhody Wraps Up Preseason Competitio...
- 08/19/14: Men's Soccer Holds Training Session...