- Rhode Island (8-2-0, 2-1-0 A-10) returns to the URI Soccer Complex to host Massachusetts Wednesday night.
- URI enters the game with the nation's ninth-best scoring offense (2.30 goals per game).
- The Rams also rank fifth nationally in corner kicks per game (7.00) and seventh in shots on goal per game (7.40).
- Defensively, Rhody has the 19th-best save percentage (.825) in the country and the 22nd-best team goals against average (0.686).
- Last week, Rhody picked up a pair of 3-1 wins - at home vs. Saint Louis and on the road at St. Bonaventure.
- URI opened the season with 649:02 scoreless minutes, collecting six straight shutout victories before dropping a 1-0 double-overtime decision to Brown.
- The six consecutive shutouts gave the 2018 Rams the best start to a season in program history.
- Rhody has been backstopped by freshman Roger Penske and junior Stefan Schmidt. Penske, who has started in eight of URI's 10 games, ranks second in the Atlantic 10 in both save percentage (.806) and goals against average (.824). He has collected two A-10 Rookie of the Week awards and has one Defensive Player of the Week honor.
- Overall, Rhody's defense has allowed just 40 shots on goal through 10 games (4.0 per game). At the opposite end of the field, URI is averaging 7.4 shots on goal per game.
- Rhode Island has out-cornered its opponents 70-35 so far this season.
- Nine different Rams have found the back of the net this season while a total of 13 players have contributed either a goal or an assist.
- Senior Dominik Richter leads the team with 15 points on five goals and five assists.
- Junior Stavros Zarokostas (5g/1a) and redshirt freshman Edvin Akselsen (4g/3a) each have 11 points.
- Akselsen earned A-10 Co-Rookie of the Week honors on Monday.
- Junior Peder Kristiansen has recorded four assists in URI's last five games.
- Grad student Tyler Dickson has netted three game-winning goals for Rhody.
The UMass Series
Rhode Island leads: 35-22-4
Last meeting: The Minutemen defeated the Rams in overtime (2-1) on Oct. 18, 2017 in Amherst, Mass.
Current Streak: UMass, one win.
Rhody's last win: Oct. 19, 2016 (2-1) in Kingston, R.I.
Of Note: URI is 6-5 over the last 11 games against UMass. Prior to the most recent 10-game stretch, Rhody had won nine in a row against the Minutemen, dating back to the 2000 season.
Scouting the Minutemen
- UMass enters the game 1-2-0 in the Atlantic 10 and 5-5-2 overall.
- The last time out, the Minutemen defeated George Mason at home. Prior to that, they dropped three in a row - to VCU (2-0), St. Bonaventure (2-1) and Dartmouth (1-0).
- Rhody and UMass have played three common opponents this season: Boston University, Bryant and St. Bonaventure. URI is 3-0 against those teams while UMass is 1-2 with losses to both Boston University (3-2) and St. Bonaventure (2-1).
- Massachusetts is averaging 12.5 shots per game while allowing 11.6.
- The Minutemen have taken 64 corner kicks while allowing 68.
- Fourteen different players have contributed either a goal or an assist for UMass so far this season.
- DeAndrae Brown leads the team in goals (6) and total points (13).
- Davis Smith and Jack Fulton are just behind Brown with 10 points each on four goals and two assists.
- Yosuke Hanya has recorded a team-best four assists so far this season.
- Trey Miller (638:13) and Marvin Dorchin (498:11) have split time in goal for UMass. Miller is 4-1-2 with three shutouts and six goals against while Dorchin is 1-4-0 with one shutout and seven goals against.