RHODE ISLAND (2-0)
Starters: Penske (GK), Karterud, Kristiansen, Middrup, Trucka, Benco, Zarokostas, Richter, Jesman Sunde, Dickson, Daley
Substitutes: Drayer, Cook, Gesmundo, Sherman, Gaudreau
Starters: Larente (GK), Cochrane, Rey, Robinson, Brown, Terceros, Gill, Becerra, Blanchett, Valckenaere, Lee
Substitutes: Lyne, DeSantis, Amaya, Johnstone, Williams, Barreira, Kane, Cypriano
27:32 - URI - Richter (Katertud)
44:28 - URI - Zarokostas (Richter, Gaudreau)
78:23 - URI - Zarokostas (unassisted)
88:03 - URI - Sherman (Gesmundo)
How It Happened
Rhode Island scored twice in each half to ease its way past in-state Bryant 4-0 Monday afternoon at Bulldog Soccer Field.
Dominik Richter found the back of the net first, lifting a 28th-minute shot into the top left corner off a volley from Sondre Karterud. Stavros Zarokostas then doubled the Rhody lead just before the break as he one-timed a pass from Richter just under the crossbar from 10 yards out. Evan Gaudreau also was credited with an assist on the play.
The Rams continued to apply the pressure in the second half, making it a 3-0 game when Zarokostas struck again in the 78th minute. Johnny Sherman finished off the scoring just before the end of regulation when he redirected a feed from Lucas Gesmundo into the wide open net to cap the 4-0 Rhode Island victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhody has now combined to outscore Bryant 8-0 over the last two seasons.
- The last time URI opened the season with back-to-back shutouts was in 2000 when the Rams defeated Siena (2-0) and Providence (1-0).
- The Rams held the advantage in total shots (24-13), shots on goal (8-4) and corner kicks (7-2).
- Through two games this season, five different Rams have scored goals and four different players have picked up assists.
- Junior Stavros Zarokostas netted a pair of goals, marking the first multi-goal game of his career. With 38 career points (15g/8a), he is now tied for 33rd all time at Rhode Island.
- Senior Dominik Richter registered a goal and an assist in the win, for his 11th career game with multiple points. With 36 career points (13g/10a), he currently ranks 38th in the Rhody record book.
- Freshman Johnny Sherman tallied his first career goal on an 89th minute attempt from point-blank range.
- Freshman Sondre Karterud recorded the first point of his collegiate career when he set up what proved to be the game-winning goal by Richter.
- Redshirt senior Evan Gaudreau and sophomore Lucas Gesmundo each recorded an assist for their first points of the season.
- Freshman Roger Penske stopped each of the four shots he faced, posting the second shutout of his young career.
- Freshman Zach Cook made his first collegiate appearance in the win, logging 34 minutes off the bench.
The Rams return to action on Friday night when they host Penn State at 7 p.m.