Starters: Penske (GK), Karterud, Kristiansen, Middrup, Benco, Richter, Jesman Sunde, Dickson, Brangman, Daley, Gaudreau
Substitutes: Trcka, Drayer, Sherman
Starters: Bernardi (GK), Aunger, Kargbo, Valek, Butzke, McDonnell, D'Anna, Barkoff, Riccio, Cortet, Chavali
Substitutes: Knutsson, Celaj, Morrison, Siracuse
19:59 - URI - Benco (Richter)
82:51 - URI - Trcka (unassisted)
How It Happened
Rhode Island broke open the scoring in the 20th minute when Dominik Richter fed a pass to Ludvik Benco, who tucked a shot inside the left post for the 1-0 advantage. The Rams defense limited Boston University to just two shots throughout the first half - one of which went over the frame, the other of which was wide.
Simon Trcka made it 2-0 URI in the closing minutes, splitting the Terrier's defense and beating BU's Mike Bernardi to double the lead. Shortly after, with just six seconds remaining in regulation, Roger Penske made a diving stop to preserve the shutout in his career debut.
Inside the Box Score
- With the win, Rhode Island improves to 17-23-8 all time against Boston University.
- URI has now outscored BU 5-0 over the last two games between the teams.
- The Rams outshot the Terriers 9-8 and put six attempts on frame to the Terriers' three.
- Rhody also held the advantage in corner kicks at 3-2.
- Junior Ludvik Benco registered his first goal as a Ram, finding the back of the net in the 20th minute.
- Junior Simon Trcka also scored for Rhody, netting an insurance goal in his first-ever appearance for the Rams.
- Senior Dominik Richter set up Benco's game-winner, picking up his ninth career assist. He now has 33 points for his career (12g/9a).
- Freshman Roger Penske turned away all three shots he faced, posting a shutout in his first career game.
- Redshirt senior Evan Gaudreau made his first career start in the win, as did freshman Sondre Karterud.
- Newcomers Simon Trcka, Zach Drayer and Johnny Sherman all saw action off the bench for the Rams.
The Rams return to action on Monday afternoon at Bryant.