Starters: Leifhelm (GK), Middrup, Benco, Zarokostas, Cain, Davids, Jesman Sunde, Dickson, Brangman, Bailey, Daley
Substitutes: Kristiansen, Richter
Starters: Sequeira (GK), Shimazaki, Edvarsen, Dal Molin, Fatton, Haji, Santos, Pearson, Roberts, Lockaby, Amorosino
Substitutes: Moreland, Munts, Cooke, Gonnella
69:03 - VCU - Santos (Fatton)
81:18 - VCU - Haji (Munts, Cooke)
How It Happened
Rhode Island (10-6-3) was knocked out of the Atlantic 10 Championship with a 2-0 semifinal loss to VCU (12-5-0) Friday night at Dayton's Baujan Field.
The Rams had their chances - including a first-half shot off the crossbar by Emil Jesman Sunde, as well as back-to-back second-half shots by Jesman Sunde and Chae Brangman that were stopped by VCU's Mario Sequeira.
VCU finally broke the deadlock in the 70th minute when Rafael Santos used his heel to tap in a shot from just outside the six-yard box. Siad Haji followed a similar goal in the 82nd minute, using a heel shot from just wide of the post to beat Nils Leifhelm and double the VCU lead.
Inside the Box Score
- VCU outshot URI, 17-14, but Rhode Island held the advantage in shots on goal at 6-4.
- The Rams also had a 6-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- Junior Chae Brangman recorded a team high four shots. Classmate Emil Jesman Sunde had two - one which went off the crossbar and another that was blocked by VCU's Mario Sequeira.
- Sequeira finished the night with six saves for VCU. Senior Nils Leifhelm had two for Rhode Island.
- Senior defender Tyler Dickson earned All-Tournament accolades for the Rams.
Rhode Island will now wait to learn its NCAA Tournament fate. The Rams - who have an outside shot at an at-large bid - entered the week with an RPI of 34, while VCU had the A-10's top RPI at 19.