Starters: Leifhelm (GK), Kristiansen, Middrup, Benco, Zarokostas, Cain, Davids, Dickson, Brangman, Bailey, Daley
Substitutes: Williams, Jesman Sunde, Gesmundo, Gaudreau
Starters: Rajovic (GK), Kapok, Mitchell, Curtis, Parada, Bounthong, Jorgensen, Gavilanes, Avila, Nkansah-Siriboe
Substitutes: Ginman, Cancilla, Reis, Elsayed, Jaime, Gallivant, Aronson, Petrocelli, Sullivan
42:16 - URI - Gaudreau (Jesman Sunde)
70:46 - URI - Zarokostas (Jesman Sunde, Gesmundo)
85:35 - URI - Bailey (Daley)
How It Happened
Rhode Island scored the only goal it would need in the final minutes of the first half when Evan Gaudreau headed in his first of the season off a service from Emil Jesman Sunde. Gaudreau's tally - his first as a Ram - came just three and a half minutes after he had subbed into the game.
Jesman Sunde nearly doubled the Rams' lead in the 52nd minute - with a shot that was cleared off the goal line by a Marist defender - and again 10 minutes later, on a header that was tipped over the crossbar by Marist goalkeeper Mark Rajovic. Instead, he set up the Rams' second goal of the game by collecting a midfield turnover and playing the ball up to Lucas Gesmundo, who one timed a cross to the front of the goal. Stavros Zarokostas was there for the finish, depositing his third goal of the season into the back of the net.
Inside the Box Score
- With the win, Rhode Island improves to 3-2-0 on the season. Marist's record also moves to 3-2-0.
- The shutout victory is the second in as many games for the Rams, who have now outscored their opponents 7-0 over the last 180:00.
- Junior Emil Jesman Sunde registered two assists in the win, picking up the first multi-assist game of his career. The two assists were also his first points of the season. He now has 20 career points on six goals and eight assists.
- Sophomore Stavros Zarokostas scored his third goal of the season and 11th of his career. He now has 28 career points (11g/6a) in 25 career games for the Rams.
- Evan Gaudreau's game-winner was his first goal as a Ram. The redshirt junior transferred to Rhode Island last season, but missed the year with an injury.
- Senior Ryan Bailey also scored his first goal of the season, upping his career total to nine. He now has 24 career points (9g/6a) for the Rams.
- Junior Liam Daley and freshman Lucas Gesmundo each recorded the first assist of their respective careers. Daley's came on Bailey's goal while Gesmundo's was one of two on the goal by Zarokostas.
- Senior goalkeeper Nils Leifhelm made six saves to pick up his third shutout of the season and 18th of his career.
- Mark Rajovic had six saves in goal for the Red Foxes.
- Rhode Island outshot Marist 14-13 and held a 9-6 edge in shots on goal.
- The Red Foxes, however, took nine corner kicks while Rhody managed just one.
- URI picked up both yellow cards that were issued in the match and was whistled for 18 fouls, compared to Marist's 11.
The Rams return to action on Saturday, Sept. 16, when they travel to New Hampshire for a 7 p.m. game against the Wildcats.