Spenser (GK), Cloutier, Camillo, Matthews, Friedrichs, Oakley, Moran, Davids, Randell, Casey, Sykes
Culp (GK), Belza, DeMarco, Jess, Pavone, Ellis, Mooney, Keys, Alvarenga, Pease, Schwartz
How It Happened
Rhode Island took an early lead when Mike Casey streaked through the box to put away a Ryan Oakley free kick just 9:26 into the match. Matt Sykes nearly doubled the Rams' lead 20 minutes later when he blasted a shot off the post, however it was UMass that struck next on a penalty kick by Josh Schwartz at 33:28.
Four minutes into the second half, Dante Lamb netted what proved to be the game-winner when he buried a deflection in the box from Wesley Matthews. Ryan Oakley also was credited with an assist on the play.
Lamb tacked on an insurance goal 20 minutes later, beating Massachusetts keeper Taylor Culp on the second PK of the game. Rhody closed out the scoring in the 88th minute when Nick Ferguson set up Justin Clancy's second goal of the season. Clancy took the ball down the near side and roped a shot over the outstretched Culp for the 4-1 Rhode Island victory.
With the win, Rhody improves to 9-3-3 (5-0-0 A-10) while UMass falls to 1-12-1 (0-4-1 A-10). With an 8-0-2 record in their last 10 games, the Rams' current unbeaten streak is the second-longest in program history. Rhode Island's 1995 squad holds the all-time record as that team opened the season on a 16-0-2 tear.
9:26 - URI - Mike Casey (Ryan Oakley) -- VIDEO
33:28 - UMASS - Josh Schwartz (Penalty Kick)
49:19 - URI - Dante Lamb (Ryan Oakley, Wesley Matthews) -- VIDEO
70:20 - URI - Dante Lamb (Penalty Kick) -- VIDEO
87:55 - URI - Justin Clancy (Nick Ferguson) -- VIDEO
Inside the Box Score
- The win improves URI to 5-0-0 in the Atlantic 10, marking the first time since 2002 that the Rams open league play with five consecutive wins.
- Junior Ryan Oakley (two assists) and redshirt freshman Dante Lamb (two goals) both turned in multi-point performances on the night. Oakley now has six assists in five A-10 games while Lamb leads the team with nine points (4G/1A) against conference opponents.
- Redshirt junior Mike Casey's goal was his third of the season. He now has 25 career points on nine goals and seven assists.
- Wesley Matthews' assist was the first of his career. The sophomore center back now has two goals and an assist this season for a total of five points.
- Freshman Justin Clancy's goal was his second of the season. Both tallies have been assisted on by sophomore Nick Ferguson.
- Redshirt junior Thomas Spenser earned the win in his first start of the season between the posts for the Rams. He finished one shy of his career-best with eight saves on the night. His only goal against came on a penalty kick.
- Prior to the start of the game, URI held a brief ceremony to recognize the six Rams playing in the final home game of their respective careers: Thomas Spenser, Jon Cloutier, Falko Friedrichs, Trevor Moran, Mike Casey and Matt Sykes.
The Rams head to Philadelphia for a Sunday afternoon game at Saint Joseph's. First touch is set for 1:00 p.m.