Leifhelm (GK), Cloutier, Camillo, Matthews, Friedrichs, Oakley, Moran, Davids, Randell, Casey, Sykes
George Washington Starters
van der Merwe (GK), Adewole, Scott, Conning, Higgins, Curry, McClern, McQuitty, De Their, Summerlin, Heine
How It Happened
Rhode Island scored a pair of unanswered goals to take down George Washington on a cold and wet afternoon at the URI Soccer Complex.
Trailing 1-0 late in the first half, Jon Cloutier one-timed a Ryan Oakley corner kick past GW's JP van der Merwe to even things up with just 13 seconds left in the half.
The Rams eventually pulled ahead in the 62nd minute when Dante Lamb netted a shot from the end line to put Rhode Island on top for good. Both Oakley and Matt Sykes were credited with assists on the play as Oakley had flicked a cross-field pass by Sykes to the right corner, where Lamb fired off a shot that trickled in off a GW defender.
URI is now undefeated (5-0-2) over its last seven games - the Rams' longest such streak since an 8-0-1 run in 2005.
41:10 - GW - Philip McQuitty (Matthew Scott)
44:47 - URI - Jon Cloutier (Ryan Oakley) - VIDEO
61:14 - URI - Dante Lamb (Ryan Oakley, Matt Sykes) - VIDEO
Inside the Box Score
- With the win, Rhode Island improves to 6-3-3 (2-0-0 A-10) while George Washington drops to 4-6-0 (0-1-0 A-10). It marks the first time Rhody opens conference play with back-to-back wins since 2008.
- The Rams recorded 18 shots on the afternoon - half of which were on frame.
- Rhody's back four - redshirt senior Jon Cloutier, sophomore Wesley Matthews, grad student Falko Friedrichs and junior Adam Camillo - allowed the Colonials just five shots through 90 minutes of play. GW managed to put just two of those on frame.
- Rhode Island also head the advantage in corner kicks at 9-4.
- URI and GW combined for 10 offsides calls -- six for the Rams and four for the Colonials.
- Freshman goalkeeper Nils Leifhelm picked up his sixth win of the season -- the most by any Rhody keeper since Peyton Warwick finished with six in 2011.
- Junior Ryan Oakley assisted on both Rhode Island goals. He now has three assists on the season, all of which have come in Atlantic 10 play.
- Cloutier's first-half goal was the first of his career for the right back. It also was his first point since recording an assist in 2012.
- Redshirt freshman Dante Lamb's goal was his second of the season. With five points on two goals and an assist, he is now tied with Oakley (5P/1G/3A) and freshman Carlo Davids (5P/1G/3A) for the second-most points on the team.
- Senior Matt Sykes' assist was the 12th of his career, giving him an even 50 career points (19G/12A).
- The 50 career points ties Sykes with Mark Goodson (1981-84) and John Lopes (1983-86) for 24th all-time at URI. He also becomes the first Ram to reach the 50-point milestone since Lukasz Tumicz did so as a junior in 2006.
- Sykes has now registered at least one point in six of URI's last seven games, with the only exception being Rhody's scoreless draw with Albany.
- Philip McQuitty netted GW's lone goal of the game, assisted by Matthew Scott.
- Colonials keeper JP van der Merwe finished the afternoon with seven saves.
The Rams return to the URI Soccer Complex to host George Mason, Friday at 7 p.m.