Oct. 11, 2011
The Connecticut Cup - Final Results
Setting the Scene:
Course: Oct. 10 (36 holes), Oct. 11 (18 holes) - Ellington Ridge C.C. (par 72/6,936 yards)
The field: 16 teams, 85 total golfers
Rhode Island's Individual Results:
* Branden Chicorka - the two-time A-10 Player of the Week - continued his outstanding play. He finished second overall, posting a 54-hole score of 215, just one stroke behind individual medalist Jeffrey Merrell.
Chicorka entered the day just two strokes off the lead and carded a final round 74 (+2). He opened tournament play on Monday with a 72 during the morning session, followed up by a 3-under 69 during the second round later that afternoon. It marks Chicorka's third consecutive top-3 individual finish.
* Jared Adams finished in a tie for 15th place, with a three-round score of 222. The sophomore shot an opening round 73, followed by a 74 during the second round of play on Monday afternoon. He closed out with a final round 75.
* Taylor Fontaine was just one stroke behind Adams, with a total score of 223 - good for a tie for 18th place. The senior put forth his best tournament of the fall, registering a score of 73 (+1) during both the first and second rounds. He closed out play on Tuesday with a 77.
* Andrew Fiorenzano closed out play in the Connecticut Cup with a 1-over 73 during Tuesday's final round. The sophomore improved his score in each of the three rounds of action, finishing in a tie for 25th place with a total score of 226 (78-75-73).
Rhode Island Team Results:
* The Rams also finished just one stroke off the team title. URI compiled a 54-hole score of 883 (293-291-299). Sacred Heart finished with a score of 882 (291-289-302). Host Connecticut finished third, with a score of 886 (298-293-295).
Rhode Island finishes up play in the 2011 fall season with The Classic at Shelter Harbor, held on Oct. 15-16 at the Shelter Harbor Golf Club in Westerly, R.I.