Sep 08, 2018
- Bethpage Red Course - Farmingdale, N.Y.
- Par 70 course (7,092 yards)
- First & Second Round: Saturday, Sept. 8
- Third Round: Sunday, Sept. 9
- The Field: 14 teams, 84 golfers
- Rhode Island sits atop the leaderboard through the first two rounds at The Doc Gimmler.
- The Rams were nine strokes off the lead after the first round, but made up serious ground to take over the lead after 36 holes of play.
- As a team, the Rams will enter Sunday's final round with an even 560 (281-279).
- Connecticut (+2), Johnson & Wales-Fla. (+4), Yale (+6) and Loyola Maryland (+10) round out the top-5.
- Senior Dawson Jones is tied for first place, having carded back-to-back 68s. He and Nick Harrington (UConn) both will enter Sunday four strokes under par.
- Sophomore Chris Francoeur fired a +2 72 the first time through, but was 1-under in the afternoon round to finish the day tied for 11th place (141).
- Redshirt senior Brody King was even (70) through the first 18 holes, but picked up two strokes his second time through. He is tied for 14th overall.
- Redshirt junior Jason Short climbed 20 spots on the leaderboard during the second round, finishing the day tied for 23rd (74-70=144).
- Freshman Austin Fox, in his first collegiate round, carded a 1-over 71. He shot a 75 in the afternoon round and will enter Sunday tied for 35th place (71-75=146).
Head Coach Gregg Burke's Take
- Obviously we have a long way to go to win this, but today was a great day for us. We came from nine back after the first round to take the lead, which is remarkable.
- What I really like is that we did not have the low score either round but still hold the lead. That is what we want - low-scoring consistency throughout the lineup.
- To have three guys in the top 14 is what we need to do to contend in tournaments.
- We will have to play our best to beat programs with the firepower of UConn, Yale, Harvard and Loyola.
The Rams return to Bethpage Red to close out play on Sunday morning.