The Steel Club - Hellertown, Pa.
Par 72 (6,655 yards)
First & Second Rounds: Sunday, April 1
The Field: 17 teams, 96 golfers
Weather: 50 degrees, cloudy, slight breeze
- After finishing the first round in fourth place (300), Rhode Island carded the low round of the tournament the second time through, combining for a 1-under 287.
- Overall, the Rams were +11 through the two rounds, combining for a field-leading score of 587 (300-287).
- Lehigh (589), Robert Morris (592), Connecticut (594) and Villanova (596) rounded out the top-5.
- Redshirt sophomore Jason Short tied for first overall, finishing the 36 holes 2-under par (142). After carding a +2 74 in the early round, he birdied six holes - and eagled the par-4 12th - to finish the second round in 68 strokes. His 68 tied for the low individual round of the tournament. He also led the field of 96 in par-5 scoring at -6.
- Junior Dawson Jones also turned in a top-10 finish, tying for eighth place overall. He shot a 75 the first time through and finished with a 2-under 70 in the final round (145). He ended the day with nine birdies.
- Freshman Chris Francoeur tied for 22nd overall with a combined 150. He shot a 74 in the morning round, and picked up two strokes the second time through, shooting a 76 in the afternoon.
- Freshman Bobby Weise bounced back from a rough first round (80), finishing the second round with a 1-over 73. His second-round score moved him up 34 spots on the leaderboard, into a tie for 38th overall.
- Redshirt junior Brody King also tied for 38th place, finishing with a 9-over 153. He opened with a 77 and shot a 76 in the afternoon round.
Head Coach Gregg Burke's Take
- This win was as simple as five guys grinding out a win no one would have expected, but one they all believed they could get.
- Even though we were in fourth after the first round, we knew that winners step up in final rounds and that is exactly what this team did.
- Besides shaking off the rust, our goals were to get some confidence in our #4 and #5 guys and to play more tenaciously than any team in the field. We did both.
- This was the breakout tournament we knew was coming from Jason Short. We also got a tremendous second round from Bobby Weise who has had back spasms and a sore back for a week but played through it.
The Rams return to action next Monday, when they open play at the Villanova Wildcat Invitational.