KINGSTON, R.I. - Head coach Gregg Burke has announced that Austin Fox has signed a National Letter of Intent to join the Rhode Island golf team next season. Fox is expected to make an immediate impact on the program.
"Austin is the complete package," Burke said. "He comes from a terrific family and is a very good student who will be a Centennial Scholar here. As a golfer, he is as accomplished as anyone we've had in the program. He is ranked 370th nationally and 167th in his class. To put it in perspective, if you take the 12 states from Maine to Virginia, he is ranked ninth in his class. Last summer, in addition to winning multiple events, he qualified for both the PGA Junior Nationals and the USGA Junior Nationals. This is a tremendous get for us and someone who, with hard work, can etch his name alongside Rhody greats like Mike Sims, Jim Salinetti, Dana Quigley, P.H. Horgan and Billy Walthouse."
The Fox File
Hometown: Delmar, N.Y.
High School: Bethlehem Central
Parents: Michele and Joesph
Siblings: Victor, member of the Maryland golf team from 2013-17
Hobbies: Golf, tennis, basketball, baseball, hiking
Favorite Athlete: Tiger Woods
Favorite Team: New York Yankees
Chose URI Over: Maryland, Rutgers, Binghamton, Siena
Honors & Accomplishments
- Member of his school's golf, tennis and basketball teams.
- Has been Central Bethlehem's #1 golfer in each of the last four seasons.
- Captain of the golf team during his senior season.
- Finished first at the 2017 PGA Junior Championship Qualifier (71-69) and tied for first at the 2017 AJGA Killington Junior Championship (70-69-75).
- Finished second at the 2017 NY State PGA Junior Championship (74-74).
- Placed third at the 2017 USGA Junior Am. Qualifier (69).
- Turned in three consecutive first-place finishes (2015-17) at the Section II State Qualifier.
- Played in the 2015 Junior PGA Championship at Miramont Country Club, after winning the regional qualifier at the Town of Colonie Golf Club in Schenectady, N.Y.
- Received Northeastern New York PGA Player of the Year in 2015 and 2016.
- Became the first-ever golfer to win the New York State Public High School Athletic Association Section II Champion three straight years (2015-17).
- Also was named the Times Union Newspaper's Athlete of the Year in both 2013 and 2017.
- Helped lead Central Bethlehem to the NYSPHSAA Suburban Council title in 2012, 2015, 2016 and 2017, as well as the NYSPHSAA Section II Championship in 2015, 2016 and 2017.