Sep 23, 2017
- Quechee Club - Quechee, Vt.
- Par 72 course (6,840 yards)
- First Round: Saturday, Sept. 23
- Second Round: Sunday, Sept. 24
- The Field: 14 teams, 86 golfers
- Rhode Island sits in 11th place after 18 holes at the Quechee Club Collegiate Challenge.
- The Rams made relatively easy work of the front nine, but recorded a +3, +4, +4, +5 and +6 on the back nine to finish the first round with a combined team score of 305 (+17).
- Rhody will enter Sunday's final round one stroke behind 10th-place Hartford and six strokes ahead of 12th-place Siena.
- Ivy Leaguers occupy the top three spots on the leaderboard as Cornell (-3) and Harvard (-3) are tied for first after one round while Princeton (+1) is holding down third place.
- Junior Dawson Jones turned in Rhody's top first-round score, tying for 29th overall with a 3-over 75. He birdied three holes on the day - the second, third and fifth.
- Freshman Bobby Weise and sophomore Burke Barsamian both shot an opening-round 76 to tie for 36th place. Barsamian collected a trio of birdies while Weise had two.
- Freshman Chris Francoeur opened with a 6-over 78. He was +1 with two holes to go, but a triple bogey on the 17th and a double bogey on the 18th dropped him to 59th overall.
- Redshirt sophomore Jason Short will enter Sunday's final round tied for 69th overall with a 7-over 79.
Head Coach Gregg Burke's Take
- This was just a bad day of golf for us. We were very well prepared, but I didn't do a good job of keeping the guys focused when we started to slip. We knew coming in that this is a golf course that takes away our power and allows a lesser hitter to still have short irons into greens. This stumble is on me.
- Dawson and Burke hit it really well but didn't score well.
- Bobby didn't have his good stuff but hung in there all day. It has become a luxury to think he's going to play well every time out. His focus and determination are remarkable for someone so young.
- The final round will tell us a lot about the team and individual players. I think we'll have a great day.
- The Rams return to the Quechee Club to close out play on Sunday morning.