Apr 01, 2017
- The Manor Golf Club - Farmville, Va.
- Par 72 (7,246 yards)
- First & Second Rounds: Saturday, April 1
- Third Round: Sunday, April 2
- The Field: 16 teams, 90 golfers
- Weather: 70 degrees, cloudy
- After two rounds of play, Rhode Island is tied with Delaware for place, nine strokes over at 585 (297-288).
- In knocking nine strokes off their team score during the afternoon round, the Rams made the biggest first-to-second round jump of the day as they moved up three spots on the team leaderboard, from sixth to third.
- Longwood leads the field through the first 36 holes, combining for an even 576. Dartmouth ended Day One in second place overall, two strokes ahead of URI at 585 (292-293).
- Rounding out the top-5 is Division III Ferrum College at +13 (294-295=589).
- Grad student Chris Houston carded back-to-back 71s to finish the first day of competition two strokes under par (142). He will enter Sunday's final round in a three-way tie for third place.
- Sophomore Dawson Jones also shot an opening-round 71, but was one over during the afternoon round to finish the day tied for 10th with an even 144.
- Redshirt freshman Jason Short opened with a 3-over 75 and carded a 76 in the afternoon round. His 7-over 151 has him in a four-way tie for 38th overall.
- Competing in his first tournament of the year, junior Brody King finished the first round 8-over par (80) before knocking five strokes off his score the second time through. He will enter the third and final round tied for 56th place (80-75=155).
- Senior Billy Walthouse had an extremely uncharacteristic first round, shooting a 15-over 87. He bounced back with a 3-under 69 in the afternoon round to jump from 88th place to 62nd overall.
The Rams return to The Manor Golf Club for the final round of the tournament Sunday morning.