Oct 18, 2016
- The Members Club at Four Streams - Beallsville, Md.
- Par 71 (7,102 yards)
- First & Second Rounds: Monday, Oct. 17
- Third Round: Tuesday, Oct. 18
- The Field: 12 teams, 67 golfers
- Weather: 85 degrees, sunny
- Rhode Island closed out competition at the Georgetown Intercollegiate with the low round of the day, combining for a 281 to jump from seventh place all the way to third in the team standings.
- The Rams were the only team to finish the third and final round under par.
- With a three-round score of 861 (289-291-281), Rhody tied DePaul for third overall while finishing nine strokes over par.
- Notre Dame - which was the lone team to finish under par - claimed the team title with an 846 (-6). The host Hoyas were the only other team to finish ahead of the Rams, combining for an 858 (+6).
- Saint Joseph's - the only other Atlantic 10 team competing - finished in 12th place with a 919 (+67).
- Senior Billy Walthouse finished third overall, finishing the 54-hole event in 207 strokes (67-69-71). He was -5 in par-5 scoring, -1 in par-3 scoring and even on par-4 holes. He also finished second among the field of 67 in total birdies, with 15.
- Walthouse wraps up the fall season with a 69.6 stroke average, five top-15 performances and three top-3 finishes. Through five events, he combined to shoot 19-under par.
- Grad student Chris Houston jumped nine spots on the leaderboard with his third-round 68. He tied for fifth overall with a combined 2-under 211 (71-72-68). He was one of just five players to card a sub-70 score during Tuesday's final round and had Rhody's lone eagle of the tournament.
- Sophomore Dawson Jones also made a significant jump in the standings, moving from 37th all the way to 16th after shooting a third-round 68. Overall, he finished four over at 217 (74-75-68).
- Redshirt freshman Jason Short carded his low round of the tournament on Tuesday, finishing in 74 strokes. He tied for 48th overall with a +15 228 (77-77-74).
- Freshman Blake DiPaola finished in 66th place, going 85-75-84 for a combined 244 (+31).
Head Coach Gregg Burke's Take
- Today we simply played Rhody Golf. We had the best round of the day and moved from seventh to third place against a great field.
- Billy had a great tournament as he seems to every time out.
- Chris showed that he is a competitor and a golfer with the way he hung in for us.
- Dawson did not have his best stuff the first day but hung in there for a 68 today.
- Obviously we need better scores in the four and five spots to win tournaments.
- All in all, we had a terrific fall. We played in five tournaments and won two.
- We played 13 rounds of golf and finished just 10-over par for the entire fall season. Billy was 19 under for the fall season. Both are a product of very hard work.
- We have things to build on and things to work on as we look ahead to the spring season.
The Rams open the spring portion of their schedule March 19-20 at the UNCW Seahawks Intercollegiate.