Sep 24, 2016
- Quechee Club - Quechee, Vt.
- Par 72 course (6,671 yards)
- First Round: Saturday, Sept. 24
- Second Round: Sunday, Sept. 25
- The Field: 15 teams, 84 golfers
- Rhode Island sits atop the leaderboard through the first 18 holes.
- The Rams combined to shoot 9-under, for a first-round 279.
- Rhody is seven strokes ahead of second-place Pennsylvania (286).
- Harvard (287), Colgate (292) and Columbia (292) round out the top-five.
- Senior Billy Walthouse went 4-under his first time through, shooting a 68 to finish the day tied for first place.
- Grad student Chris Houston and redshirt freshman Jason Short each carded a first-round 70 (-2) and will enter Sunday tied for fifth overall.
- Sophomore Dawson Jones finished 1-under par (71) to tie for 12th after the first round of play.
- Senior Eric Marchetti shot +6 (78) and will start Sunday's final round in a seven-way tie for 50th place.
- Competing as an individual, freshman Blake DiPaola wrapped up the first round tied for 20th with a 1-over 73.
Head Coach Gregg Burke's Take
- We had a nice day today and showed our depth.
- There is no way to overpower this golf course. We were painstaking in our preparation during the pre-tournament round - we had very specific places to hit tee shots and approach shots - and we simply executed the game plan.
- We need to do that again tomorrow if we want to win.
The Rams return to the Quechee Club to close out play on Sunday morning.