Sep 10, 2016
- Bethpage State Park - Red Course - Farmingdale, N.Y.
- Par 70 course (7,092 yards)
- First & Second Rounds: Saturday, Sept. 10
- Final Round: Sunday, Sept. 11
- Weather: 83 degrees, partly cloudy
- The Rams are tied atop the team leaderboard, posting a 36-hole total score of 546 - good for 14-under par over the two rounds.
- Rhode Island opened the tournament with a team score of 274 (-6), which put them in second after The Rams bested that total during the afternoon's 18 holes of play with an eight-under team score of 272.
- Rhody is tied with Seton Hall (546) and are five strokes ahead of third-place Yale (551). Connecticut (552) and Hofstra (566) round out the top five teams.
- URI is even on the par 4 holes and a whopping 11-under on the par 5 holes. The Rams are averaging a score of 4.45 on par 5's.
- Walthouse is tied for second place overall, with a 6-under total of 134. The senior was outstanding in the opening round, carding a 64 - which included seven birdies and a score of 31 on the back nine. During the afternoon round, Walthouse posted two more birdies on the front nine and played to an even-par score of 70.
- Dawson Jones also sits tied for second place overall, thanks to the low-round of the tournament so far - a 7-under par 63. Jones eagled the par 5 5th hole (528 yards) and closed the front nine with two birdies to register a 31. He posted three more birdies on the back nine and did not card a bogey during the second 18 holes of play. Jones played a solid first round, shooting a 1-over par 71.
- Chris Houston is tied for seventh overall after two rounds (137). The graduate transfer had his best round of the day during the afternoon, with birdies on four of the first five holes of the round to finish with a 4-under par score of 66. Houston shot a 71 to start the tournament and has nine birdies through the first 36 holes of action.
- Jason Short is tied for 21st place, with a 1-over par total of 141. Short was 2-under during the morning round, posting a bogey-free scorecard and birdies on the 5th and 9th holes - good for a score of 68. In the second round, Short registered a 3-over par score of 73. Through 36 holes, Short has 29 pars.
- Eric Marchetti is tied for 40th place overall (145). The senior was even on the back nine of the first round en route to a 2-over par 72. During the afternoon's second round play, Marchetti was steady again, posting a 3-over 73. He has three birdies and 27 pars through his first two rounds of play.
- Blake DiPaola is competing as an individual and sits in a tie for 51st place. DiPaola's best round of the day came in the afternoon, as he fired a 1-over par 71. He opened play with a score of 77.
Head Coach Gregg Burke's Take
- Being tied for first is terrific but it really is insignificant. What it does for us is get us in the final group, which was our singular goal.
- We got exceptional rounds from Billy and Dawson bit can't underestimate the 4-under from Chris and the bogey-free 2 under from Jason.
- In a field that has top 100 teams like Seton Hall, Harvard, Yale, and UConn, we have three players in the top seven.
- For the first time in a very long while, we are at the top of the standings based on depth.
The Rams finish up the third and final round at the Doc Gimmler at Bethpage Red on Sunday, Sept. 11.