2012 Atlantic 10 Championship
First Round Results
Live Results (HTML)
Setting the Scene:
Course: Heron Bay Golf Club – Coral Springs, Fla. (par 72/7,055 yards)
The field: 11 teams
Weather: low 80s, wind E 11 mph (Weather.com)
Rhode Island's Individual Results:
* Andrew Fiorenzano is tied atop the individual leaderboard after an opening round 69. The sophomore from Cranston is tied with GW's Martin Liu at 3-under par. Fiorenzano did not register a bogey, while carding birdies on the 1st, 17th, and 18th holes. The 69 is his lowest round as a collegiate golfer.
* Taylor Fontaine continued his hot play of late, shooting a 1-over score of 73 in Friday's first round of play. Fontaine birdied the par 5 9th hole, while bogeying par 3's on the front and back nine. He is tied for 18th place.
* Jared Adams sits one shot back of Fontaine, with a 2-over 74. The sophomore, playing in his first Atlantic 10 championship, mixed in three birdies (9th, 13th, and 18th holes) to put him in a tie for 27th place.
* Branden Chicorka and Jeffrey Ray rounded out the Rhody golfers, tying for 34th place with an opening day score of 75 (+3).
Chicorka recovered from a rocky start – 3-over through the first three holes – to play even-par golf over the final 15 holes.
Ray carded his second-lowest round of the year thanks to birdies on the 1st and 9th holes.
Rhode Island Team Results:
* The Rams sits in fifth place overall, after the team's third-best scoring round of the season – 291 (+3).
* George Washington sits atop the team leaderboard (284), followed by Richmond (285), and Charlotte (286). Xavier is just one shot ahead of the Rams (290), in fourth place.
Rhode Island will compete in the second round of the 2012 Atlantic 10 Championship on Saturday, April 28 at the Heron Bay Golf Club in Coral Springs, Fla.