New England Division I Championship – Final Results
Setting the Scene:
Course: Newport National G.C. – Middletown, R.I. (par 72/7,244 yards)
The field: 8 teams, 40 total golfers
Weather: low 50s, winds gusting up to 25 mph
Rhode Island's Individual Results:
* Branden Chicorka tied for third place – just three shots off the individual medalist – closing out with an even-par 72 in Saturday's second round. The junior carded an opening round 74 (+2) on Friday afternoon.
* Jared Adams tied for seventh place overall. After a first round 76, Adams carded a second round 75, giving him a two-day total score of 151. The 75 was his lowest of the spring season so far.
* Taylor Fontaine closed out the New England Championship strong, posting his lowest round of spring in Saturday's second round of play – a 1-over 73. He tied for 13th place overall, with a two-round total of 154 (81-73).
* After an opening round 78 on Friday, Andrew Fiorenzano shot a 77 to close out the tournament. He tied for 16th place overall with a total score of 155 (78-77).
* Matt Montt finished tied for 23rd place, improving on his first day's score with a second round 79. He compiled a two-round total of 160 (81-79).
* Hartford's Matt Smith took individual honors with a 1-under total of 143 (72-71).
Rhode Island Team Results:
* The Rams placed third overall in the two round, 36-hole tournament. URI finished with a total score of 606 (309-297). Rhody's 297 team score in the second round was its lowest of the fall season.
Central Connecticut (304-294=598) took the team trophy, followed by Hartford (302-297=599) in second place Fordham (306-303=609) was fourth.
Rhode Island returns to action on April 14-15 when it hosts the Rhody Invitational at the Green Valley G.C. in Portsmouth, R.I.