New England Division I Championship – First Day Results
Setting the Scene:
Course: Newport National G.C. – Middletown, R.I. (par 72/7,244 yards)
The field: 8 teams, 40 total golfers
Weather: low 50s, calm winds
Rhode Island's Individual Results:
* Branden Chicorka is tied for third place – just two shots off the individual lead – with an opening round 74 (+2). Chicorka shot an even-par 36 on the front nine, before carding a 38 on the back.
* Jared Adams sits two shots back of Chicorka, tied for ninth place with a first round 76. The newcomer carded 38's on both the front and back nine of play.
* Andrew Fiorenzano shot a 78 during his first 18 holes of competition, tying him for 13th place. The sophomore from Cranston, R.I. was even on the front before registering a 42 on the back nine.
* Hartford's Matt Smith carded an even-par 72. There are nine golfers within four strokes of Smith – including Rhody's Branden Chicorka (74) and Jared Adams (76).
Rhode Island Team Results:
* The Rams sit in fourth place in the two round, 36-hole tournament. URI compiled a first day score of 309 and is still in the hunt for the New England title.
Hartford sits atop the team leaderboard, with a team score of 302. Central Connecticut (304) is in second place, followed by Fordham (306). Seven strokes separate the top four teams.
Rhode Island finishes up play in the New England Division I Championship on Saturday, April 7 at the Newport National G.C. in Middletown, R.I.