Sept. 24, 2011
Box Score | Photo Gallery
Football: Rhode Island 21, Fordham 17 - FINAL
How It Happened:
Trailing 17-14 after a Fordham touchdown with 3:52 remaining in the fourth quarter, Rhode Island scored a come-from-behind victory when Travis Hurd ran it in from 3 yards out to help the Rams to a 21-17 lead with 1:13 to go. The score was Hurd's second touchdown of the game.
Fordham move the ball 50 yards on seven plays in 53 seconds, but linebacker Doug Johnson intercepted a Peter Maetzold pass to secure URI's first win of the season.
Rhode Island (1-2, 0-1 CAA football) controlled the tempo with its ground attack, finishing with 62 rushes for 350 yards. In the first half, Rhody scored a pair of first-half touchdowns - one by Deontray Johnson and another by Hurd to take a 14-3 lead into the half. Fordham came back and took its first lead of the game (17-14) with just under four minutes left in the fourth quarter before the Rams rallied.
Inside the Box Score and Beyond:
* The Rams' offense was led by a three-pronged rushing attack of Anthony Baskerville, Travis Hurd and Deontray Johnson, who each broke the 100-yard mark. Baskerville led the way with 119 yards on 12 attempts. Hurd had 112 yards and two touchdowns, while Johnson added 107 yards and a score. The last time URI had three rushers top 100 yards in the same game was Sept. 29, 2007 against Brown.
* In addition to his first career 100-yard rushing game, Baskerville had 63 yards receiving on five receptions.
* Linebacker Dave Zocco led the Rams with nine tackles, including two sacks. URI had six sacks on the day, with James Timmins, Josh Moody, Michael Okunfolami getting one sack each. Manee Williams and Matt Rae combined on a sack as well.
* The defense spent a good portion of the game in Fordham's backfield, finishing with 10 tackles for loss. Fordham managed just 28 yards rushing on 24 attempts. After three quarters, URI had held their opponent to minus-4 rushing yards.
* Rhode Island was successful on third downs on both sides of the ball. Offensively, Rhody was 7-for-15 on third downs. On the other side of the ball, Fordham was held to just 3-for-14 on third downs.
Rhode Island plays in-state rival Brown on Saturday, Oct. 1 at 6 p.m. Visit ExperienceRhody.com for ticket information.
1st 12:09 URI - De. Johnson 38 yd run (Feinstein kick) 6 plays, 62 yards, TOP 2:51, FOR 0 - URI 7 01:00 FOR - Michae Marando 20 yd field goal 9 plays, 63 yards, TOP 3:20, FOR 3 - URI 7 2nd 04:11 URI - Hurd 2 yd run (Feinstein kick) 11 plays, 68 yards, TOP 5:31, FOR 3 - URI 14 3rd 03:03 FOR - Carlton Koonce 19 yd pass from Peter Maetzold (Michae Marando kick) 9 plays, 55 yards, TOP 2:14, FOR 10 - URI 14 4th 03:52 FOR - Peter Maetzold 19 yd run (Michae Marando kick) 5 plays, 35 yards, TOP 1:15, FOR 17 - URI 14 01:13 URI - Hurd 3 yd run (Feinstein kick) 8 plays, 78 yards, TOP 2:32, FOR 17 - URI 21