Game Book - PDF
How it Happened
Rhode Island (0-6, 0-2 CAA Football) gave up 16 first-quarter points and never recovered in a 44-21 loss at No. 5/6 Villanova Saturday.
The Rams showed plenty of fight late in the game, scoring 21 points in the fourth quarter. Redshirt freshman James Caparell led three scoring drives, two of which were one-play, quick-strike touchdown passes to senior wide receiver Robbie Jackson.
Villanova quarterback John Robertson completed all six of his passes for 119 yards and two touchdowns in the opening quarter. Wide receiver Poppy Livers had three grabs for 81 yards as the Wildcats (5-1, 3-0 CAA Football) scored on their first two possessions of the game.
Robertson threw four touchdowns for the fourth straight games and finished 13-of-16 for 189 yards. Livers had seven catches for 113 yards and two scores.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Robbie Jackson caught seven passes for 128 yards, including touchdown grabs of 58 yards and 22 yards. The 58-yard touchdown catch was the 100th of his career. It was the second 100-yard game of Jackson's career, as he had 111 receiving yards at New Hampshire on Oct. 12, 2013.
- Jackson became the first Ram in 21 games to catch two touchdowns in one game. Brandon Johnson-Farrell had two at Delaware on Oct. 20, 2012.
- Redshirt freshman James Caparell played most of the game after Mack Lowrie was injured in the first half. Caparell finished 22-of-33 for 249 yards. His touchdown passes to Jackson were the first two of his career.
- Rhode Island converted a fake punt in the second quarter, as Charlie McKeeman took a direct snap and ran 21 yards for a first down.
- Linebacker Andrew Bose led the Rams with 15 tackles, including one for a loss. He now has 64 through six games.
- Seven different receivers caught at least one pass for the Rams. Ross Kim had five catches for 41 yards, while Phadrae White had five for 47 yards and McKeeman each had five for 41 yards.
- Freshmen Dino Boyd and Marcus Pantoja each made their first career start. Boyd started at left tackle, while Pantoja started at defensive tackle. Redshirt freshman Ahmaad Randall made his first career appearance on special teams.
- Redshirt junior Jordan Sebastian rushed for his first touchdown of the season on a 1-yard plunge in the fourth.
- Rhode Island was 1-for-14 on third downs.
Stat of the Game
23 seconds – Rhode Island's Robbie Jackson caught two touchdown passes in a span of 23 seconds in the fourth quarter.
The Rams stay on the road as they head to Richmond Saturday, Oct. 18.