How it Happened
Villanova rushed for touchdowns on its first four possessions of the game en route to a 45-0 victory over Rhode Island Saturday.
Rhode Island (3-8, 2-6 CAA Football) could not stop the Wildcat ground attack, as Villanova (5-5, 4-3 CAA Football) ran for 338 yards. Quarterback John Robertson led the way with 133 yards and four touchdowns. Robertson scored all four of his touchdowns in the first half.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Doug Johnson had an interception for the defense, his third of the season. The pick was made possible because of a big hit by cornerback Rodney Chance, which caused the ball to pop into the air for Johnson.
- Defensive back Tim Wienclaw led the Rhody defense with 11 tackles.
- Freshman Adam Parker had seven tackles.
- Wide receiver Jawaun Wynn led the offense with four receptions for 34 yards.
- Senior Derek Gibson made his collegiate debut on the offensive line in the fourth quarter.
- Before the game, the Rams honored 17 seniors playing their final home game for the Rams. The group included Andrew Belizaire, Bob Bentsen, Jamaal Bess, Mackenzie Elliott, Derek Gibson, Dave Hansen, Mike Henderson, Doug Johnson, Jeff Kennedy, Josh Moody, Kevin Mustac, Andrew Scott, Wayne Seaton, Justin Semmes, James Timmins, Shomari Watts and Dave Zocco.
Stat of the Day
4 – Rushing touchdowns by Villanova quarterback John Robertson in the first half. He was one shy of the Villanova school record held by Brian Westbrook.
Rhode Island closes out the 2013 season at Maine. Kickoff is slated for 12:30 p.m.