Game Book - PDF
How it Happened
Rhode Island (0-1) fell behind 14-0 early in the first quarter and was not able to recover as it opened the season with a 51-26 loss at Fordham.
Fordham (1-0) hit on several big plays, scoring on touchdown plays of 61, 49, 32, and 29 yards, and adding a 61-yard interception return for a defensive score. Quarterback Mike Nebrich threw four touchdown passes, connecting twice with Brian Wetzel and once with Sam Ajala.
Rhody scored three second half touchdowns, but was unable to cut the deficit to single digits at any point. The loss was the 14th straight for the Rams.
Inside the Box Score
- Running back Robbie Delgado set a career high with 113 rushing yards. His previous best was 27 yards against Bowling Green last season. He had 69 yards rushing for the season in 2012. Delgado also had a 28-yard touchdown run, the longest rush of his career. He is the first Rhode Island player to top 100 yards in a game since Steve Probst had 180 at Brown Oct. 1, 2011.
- Jordan Sebastian scored the first touchdown of his career on a 13-yard run in the third quarter. Sebastian rushed 15 times for a career-high 91 yards. His previous best was 88 yards at New Hampshire last season.
- Freshman wide receiver Andrew Matos started and caught a touchdown pass in his collegiate debut. Matos finished with four catches for 56 yards. Fellow wide receiver Robbie Jackson had a team-high seven catches for 49 yards.
- Jawaun Wynn had three kick returns for 62 yards, three catches for 20 yards, three rushes for 30 yards and a tackle on special teams.
- Linebacker Dave Zocco led the Rams with nine tackles, including a sack. Defensive linemen Shomari Watts and Wayne Seaton each added a sack.
- This was the earliest date Rhode Island has ever played. The Rams have played five previous games in August games, and are now 4-2.
- Defensive end James Timmins was ejected from the game in the first half for a helmet-to-helmet hit.
Stats of the Night
- Rhode Island rushed for 268 yards as a team. It was the most by Rhody since it had 350 against Fordham in 2011.
- Rhode Island scored 13 points in the third quarter. In 2012, the Rams scored 10 points in the third quarter for the entire season.
- The 26 points scored were the most by the Rams since defeating Delaware, 38-34, on Oct. 22, 2011.
Rhode Island hosts CAA Football newcomer Stony Brook in its home opener Saturday, Sept. 7 at 1 p.m. It will be the first meeting ever between the teams. It also is the season opener for the Seawolves.