Defense Holds Off Offense in Blue-White Game, 80-66
SETTING THE SCENE
Rhode Island's defense won the annual Blue-White Game 80-66 behind four turnovers, including a 47-yard interception return for a touchdown by defensive back Rondell Lane Saturday.
The offense look sharp on its opening possession, as Bob Bentsen connected with Xavier Ferland for a 20-yard pass and later hit Jawaun Wynn for a 34-yard strike to the Blue 3-yard line. Two plays later, Robbie Delgado plunged in from the 2-yard line for the touchdown. The ensuing extra point gave the White team an early 13-0 lead (see modified scoring rules below).
The defense responded with 29 consecutive points as it forced two interceptions and a pair of three-and-out series over the next four series. While the offense scored three touchdowns later in the game, the defense never relinquished its lead.
"There was a good flow to the game today," Rhode Island head coach Joe Trainer said. "Both sides of the ball made plays at times, which you want to see. We saw good competition on the field."
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
* Quarterback Bob Bentsen completed 18-of-29 passes for 158 yards. He also rushed six times for 35 yards and two touchdowns. Bentsen did not turn the ball over, and was sacked just one time on the day.
* Tight end Elijah Saintfleur had a game-high eight catches. The sophomore from West Warwick is transitioning to offense after playing linebacker as a freshman.
* Freshman Rendyll Moorman (Milford Academy) made an impression on his lone catch of the day. Moorman took a wide receiver screen 50 yards for a touchdown, showing the type of burst that leads to big plays.
* Fellow wide receiver Jawaun Wynn, a transfer from Rutgers, had three catches for 35 yards. His 34-yard haul set up the first touchdown of the day for the offense.
* Wide receiver Xavier Ferland had six catches for 103 yards.
* Running back Robbie Delgado of East Providence had 50 yards rushing and one touchdown on 18 carries. He also caught three passes out of the backfield.
* Defensive back Rondell Lane was all over the field. In addition to his 47-yard interception for a touchdown, he also had a game-high seven tackles plus one forced fumble.
* Defensive end James Timmins found his way into the backfield twice, stopping runs for losses both times. He finished with five total tackles.
*. Defensive lineman Greg Doutre had two tackles, both for losses, two fumble recoveries and a pass break up at the line of scrimmage.
* Linebacker Dave Zocco had four tackles, including one for a loss.
* Freshman defensive back Derrick Holmes (Hargrave Academy) had three tackles, including two for losses.
* Defensive back Joe Parent had an interception and three tackles.
* Defensive lineman Hunter Eubanks blocked an extra point attempt.
ELLIOTT, SEBASTIAN HONORED
At the team's annual Spring Dinner Friday night, cornerback Mackenzie Elliott and running backJordan Sebastian were recognized as the most improved player on defense and offense, respectively. In the Blue-White game, had three tackles, including one for a loss. Sebastian had 40 yards rushing on 14 attempts.
To allow both sides equal opportunity to put points on the board, the coaching staff used a scoring system that borrowed ideas from several football programs around the country. Team points were scored via the following methods:
Touchdown - 6 points
2-Point Conversion - 2 points
Extra Point - 1 point
Field Goal - 3 points
1st Down - 1 Point
Big Play (15-plus yards) - 2 points
Touchdown - 7 points
Turnover - 5 points
Drive Stop - 2 points
Three-And-Out - 3 points
Field Goal Block - 3 pointsSack/Tackle For Loss - 2 points
Blue 80, White 66
W – Xavier Ferland Big Play and 1st down (20 yd pass from Bob Bentsen) – White 3, Blue 0
W – Jawaun Wynn Big Play and First Down (34 yd pass from Bob Bentsen) – White 6, Blue 0
W – Robbie Delgado 2 yd touchdown run – White 12, Blue 0
W – Dyland Smith extra point – White 13, Blue 0
B – Joe Parent Interception – White 13, Blue 5
B – James Timmins tackle for loss – White 13, Blue 7
B – Defense Three-and-out series – White 13, Blue 10
B – James Timmins tackle for loss – White 13, Blue 12
B – Shomari Watts sack – White 13, Blue 14
B – Defense Three-and-out series – White 13, Blue 17
B – Rondell Lane interception return for touchdown – White 13, Blue 29
W – Connor McHugh extra point – White 14, Blue 29
W – Bob Bentsen rush for first down – White 15, Blue 29
B – Joe Parent tackle for loss – White 15, Blue 30
B – Defense Drive Stop – White 15, Blue 32
W – Rendyll Moorman touchdown pass and big play from Fenyak – White 23, Blue 32
B – Hunter Eubanks blocked extra point Eubanks – White 23, Blue 35
B – Josh Moody tackle for loss – White 23, Blue 37
B – Defense Three-and-out series – White 23, Blue 39
W – Xavier Ferland first down reception – White 24, Blue 39
W – Xavier Ferland first down reception – White 25, Blue 39
W – Tackle for a loss – White 25, Blue 41
B – Greg Doutre tackle for a loss – White 25, Blue 43
W – Dylan Smith 43 yd field goal – White 28, Blue 43
W – Elijah Saintfleur first down reception – White 29, Blue 43
W – Jawaun Wynn first down receptions – White 31, Blue 43
B – Dave Zocco tackle for a loss – White 31, Blue 45
B – Defense Three-and-out – White 31, Blue 48
B – David Hansen and Mike Rinaldi tackle for a loss – White 31, Blue 50
W – Xavier Ferland first down and Big Play reception – White 34, Blue 50
W – Xavier Ferland first down and Big Play reception – White 37, Blue 50
W – Adam Blanchard 22 yd field goal – White 40, Blue 50
W – Jordan Sebastian first down rush – White 41, Blue 50
B – Mackenzie Elliott tackle for a loss – White 41, Blue 52
B – Josh Moody tackle for a loss – White 41, Blue 54
B – Defense Three-and-out series – White 41, Blue 57
B – Turnover, Greg Doutre fumble recovery (forced by Rondell Lane) – White 41, Blue 62
W – Elijah Saintfleur first down reception – White 42, Blue 62
W – Robbie Delgado first down rush – White 43, Blue 62
B – Dave Zocco tackle for a loss – White 43, Blue 64
B – Derrick Holmes tackle for a loss – White 43, Blue 66
W – Bentsen 1 yd touchdown run – White 49, Blue 66
W – Dylan Smith extra point – White 50, Blue 66
W – First down on defensive penalty – White 51, Blue 66
W – Chris Dagg first down reception – White 52, Blue 66
B – Greg Doutre tackle for a loss – White 52, Blue 68
B – Sack and Turnover, fumble recovery by Greg Doutre – White 52, Blue 75
W – Jordan Sebastian first down rush and Big Play – White 55, Blue 75
B – Blake Jones tackle for a loss – White 55, Blue 77
B – Defense three-and-out series – White 55, Blue 80
W – Bob Bentsen first down rush – White 56, Blue 80
W – Xavier Ferland first down and Big Play reception – White 59, Blue 80
W – Bob Bentsen 16 yd touchdown rush and Big Play – White 66, Blue 80
W – Connor McHugh extra point – White 66, Blue 80
- 07/29/14: Roster Preview: Running Back a...
- 07/28/14: Single Game Tickets Now On Sale for...
- 07/28/14: Roster Preview: Three-Way Competiti...
- 07/24/14: Patriots Alumni, Rams Partner for...
- 07/25/14: Second Skills Camp Set for...
- 07/24/14: Fleming Sees Path of Success for...
- 07/22/14: Bose Named to CAA Football...
- 07/22/14: Pair of Rhode Island Games Included...
- 07/16/14: Mini Plans For Rhode Island...
- 07/17/14: Season Opener at Marshall to be...
- 07/01/14: Jackson, Bose Named to BeyondSports...
- 06/24/14: Former Ram McGinnis Reaching New...
- 06/12/14: Fleming Focused on Finding Local...
- 06/11/14: Football Staff to Host First of Two...
- 05/26/14: Bose Named to 2014 CFPA FCS Awards...
- 05/22/14: Join URI Athletics and the Alumni...
- 05/19/14: Annual Fifth Quarter Club Golf...
- 05/14/14: 2014 Rhode Island Football Season...
- 05/07/14: CAA Football Announces Complete...
- 04/19/14: Defense Holds Off the Offense at...
TV: WCHS or WVAH (West Virginia)