Rhode Island Starters
Harris, Russell, Martin, Langevine, Dowtin
La Salle Starters
Powell, Deas, Phiri, Kimbrough, Carter
How it Happened
Rhode Island never trailed as it defeated La Salle 76-57 for its fifth straight victory in the second round of the Atlantic 10 Tournament Thursday afternoon.
The Rams opened the game on a 6-0 run in the first three minutes of play. The next possessions were back and forth as La Salle got within one after a pair of made free throws by David Beatty (16-15) at the 10:50 mark.
Rhody then went on a 12-0 run with scoring from Cyril Langevine (4), Jeff Dowtin (3), Fatts Russell (3), and Christion Thompson (2) to push the lead to 14 (32-18). Over the final nine minutes of the half, the strong URI defense held the Explorers to just two field goals, and the Rams went into the break up 32-22.
Rhody took off in the second half, as Russell scored 10 straight points for the Rams to extend the advantage to 21 (56-35) with 10:02 to play.
A successful trip to the free throw line by Omar Silverio gave Rhody its largest lead of the game (70-40) with 5:17 remaining and the Rams were able to put the game away and cruise to the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Cyril Langevine had a game-high 25 points on 9-of-10 from the field. He added 12 rebounds for his 17th double-double of the season.
- Langevine's second rebound of the game was his 300th of the season. The last Rhode Island player with 300 rebounds in one season was Lamar Odom, who had 302 in 1998-99, Odom's lone season with the Rams.
- Fatts Russell finished with 19 points - 14 of which he scored in the second half. He matched his career-high seven assists and added four rebounds.
- The 10 straight points by Russell in the second half was the second time this season the sophomore had such a run, as he scored 19 straight points in the overtime win at Saint Joseph's.
- Jeff Dowtin was the third Ram to score in double figures, adding 12. He dished out four assists and grabbed four rebounds.
- Tyrese Martin finished with eight points and four rebounds.
- Rhode Island scored the first basket of the game at 19:36, and led for the remainder of the game.
- The Rams held the advantage in points in the paint (30-24), points off turnovers (19-11), second chance points (9-8) and rebounds (39-36).
Rhode Island will face the No. 1 seed VCU at noon tomorrow. The game will be broadcast on NBCSN and the radio call will be on 920 AM WHJJ.