Jan 22, 2019
RHODE ISLAND VS. VCU - SERIES NOTES
- Wednesday's game will be the 13th all-time between Rhode Island and VCU.
- The series is split evenly, with both sides winning six times.
- Rhode Island has had the edge of late, winning four straight games against VCU.
- URI is 3-1 at the Ryan Center against VCU.
- Last season, Rhody beat VCU twice. The first game was an 81-68 victory at VCU on Feb. 2, and the latter was a 76-67 win in the Atlantic 10 championship quarterfinals.
- In the A10 quarterfinal game, Jeff Dowtin and Fatts Russell keyed the victory for Rhode Island. Dowtin had 18 points, four assists and four rebounds, while Russell added 11 points, two assists and two steals. Russell also had 11 points in the first meeting against VCU a year ago.
- Cyril Langevine had a big game in the regular-season meeting last year. He had a career-high 18 rebounds to go with 12 points, shooting 5-of-6 from the field.
- VCU and Rhode Island are two of the stronger defensive teams in the Atlantic 10. VCU ranks second with 62.6 points allowed per game, while Rhody is fourth at 66.4 points per game.
- Opponents shoot .375 from the floor against VCU, and they shoot .409 against Rhode Island. Those figures rank first and third in the conference, respectively.
- VCU defends the rim well, leading the Atlantic 10 with 4.6 blocked shots per game. Corey Douglas is second in the league with 1.8 per game, while Marcus Evans is seventh with 1.3 per game.
- Cyril Langevine is sixth in the league in blocked shots with 1.4 per game for Rhode Island.
AGGRESSIVE RUSSELL MAKES BIG DIFFERENCE FOR RHODY
- When sophomore Fatts Russell is getting to the free throw line, it means good things are happening for Rhode Island.
- Over his last five games, Russell has made at least four free throws in four different contests, all of which resulted in wins for Rhode Island.
- In fact, the Rams are 9-0 in games in which Russell has made at least four free throws.
- Saturday's win at La Salle was Russell's fifth 20-point performance of the season, and his ninth game with 18 or more.
- Rhode Island is 8-1 when Russell scores at least 18. The lone exception was his season-high 26-point performance against Bucknell, a two-point loss for the Rams.
- Russell also has been dishing the ball with more success of late. He has four or more assists in eight of his last nine games. The Rams are 6-3 in those contests.
- Overall, Rhode Island is 8-3 when Russell has at least four assists.
- Since missing the Saint Louis game, Russell is averaging 17.0 points, 3.5 assists and 2.8 rebounds per game.
DOWTIN, RUSSELL SCORING IN BUNCHES
- Junior Jeff Dowtin and sophomore Fatts Russell have each scored in double digits in 10 consecutive games.
- It is the first time Rhode Island has had the same two players score 10 or more points in 10 straight games since the 2007-08 season.
- In 2007-08, Jimmy Baron and Will Daniels both scored in double figures for 13 consecutive games.
- Dowtin and Russell are averaging 16.7 points and 15.0 points per game, respectively.
- The last time two Rhody players averaged 15.0 points or more per game was in 2000-01, when Tavorris Bell finished the season at 19.6 per game and Zach Marbury scored 16.9 per game.
- Dowtin's streak of 18 games with 10 or more points is the longest by a Rhode Island player since Baron did so in 20 straight contests from 2007-08 through 2008-09.