Dec 28, 2018
- Sunday's game will be the first matchup between Rhode Island and Middle Tennessee in program history.
- Both programs have first-year head coaches. Nick McDevitt is at Middle Tennessee after five years with UNC Asheville.
- Last year, the Rams opened the 2017-18 season with a 84-60 win against McDevitt's Bulldogs.
- The Rams claimed a 75-61 victory over the Blue Raiders' fellow Conference USA member Charlotte at the Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic on Dec. 23.
- Middle Tennessee comes to the Ryan Center on an eight-game losing streak.
- Redshirt junior guard Antonio Green leads the Blue Raiders in points per game (18.3), free throw percentage (88.6) and 3-point field goal percentage (34.7).
- Middle Tennessee played in the 2018 NIT, beating Vermont in the first round before losing 84-68 at Louisville.
DOWTIN REACHES 300 ASSISTS
- Junior Jeff Dowtin reached 300 career assists with five in the win over Charlotte.
- He now has 302 career assists
- He needs 22 more to tie Preston Murphy (1995-99) for 10th place in program history.
- He had nine assists in the season opener against Bryant, his seventh career game with nine or more.
- Rhode Island is 6-1 when Dowtin has nine or more assists, with the lone loss coming to Duke in the Round of 32 at the NCAA Championship in 2018.
- During his career, Dowtin has recorded five or more assists 28 times, including three games this season.
- Rhode Island is 25-3 when he has at least five assists.
- Last season, he tied for second nationally with a 4.40 assist-to-turnover ratio.
- From 2016-17 through 2017-18, he was the only Division I player with 250+ assists and fewer than 65 turnovers.
- Ten times over the last two seasons, Dowtin has played at least 30 minutes without turning the ball over.
- The Rams are 47-16 with Dowtin in the starting lineup, and 8-6 with him coming off the bench.
- Dowtin has led the Atlantic 10 in assist-turnover ratio in conference play in each of the last two seasons.
RAMS FINDING STROKE FROM THE ARC
- While it is shooting .248 from 3-point range on the year, Rhode Island is shooting .329 from deep over the last four games (27-of-82).
- After making 13 3-pointers in the season opener, Rhody had a seven-game stretch in which it had five or less.
- Over the last three games, the Rams have made at least six from deep, including two games with eight treys.
- Junior Jeff Dowtin has six 3-pointers over the last two games. He had eight combined in the first nine games.
RHODY TRIO RANKS AMONG TOP A-10 SCORERS
- Rhode Island junior guard Jeff Dowtin ranks ninth in the Atlantic 10 in scoring with 16.6 points per game.
- Junior Cyril Langevine is one spot behind him at 15.4 points per game, and sophomore Fatts Russell is 13th with 14.6 per game.
- Rhode Island is the only team in the conference with three players among the top 15 scorers in the league.
- No other school has three players in the top 20. Dayton (Josh Cunningham, 11th; Jalen Crutcher, 19th; Obi Toppin, 24th) and Saint Joseph's (Charlie Brown, 1st; Lamarr Kimble, 6th; Jared Bynum, 25th) are the only other teams with three players among the top 25 in scoring.
- Russell, Dowtin and Langevine all have 20-point performances to their credit this season. Russell has reached the mark four times, while Dowtin and Langevine have one apiece.
- Dowtin has scored in double figures in all 11 games this season. He has a streak of 16 straight games with 10+ points dating back to last season.
- Langevine has scored 10 or more points in each of the last nine contests.