Harris, Russell, Langevine, Dowtin, Thompson
Mackenzie, Sotos, Sestina, Toomer, Moore
How It Happened
Rhode Island battled back from an eight-point deficit in the second half to tie the score with 1:28 to go, but Bucknell pulled out the 84-82 victory in the opening round of the Diamond Head Classic in Honolulu Saturday.
Rhode Island (5-4) was down by five points with 2:51 remaining following a Bruce Moore dunk. Cyril Langevine hit a layup to cut the Bucknell lead to 80-77, then he hit a layup and was fouled for an old-fashioned three-point play to tie the score with 1:28 to go. Moore hit a layup to give Bucknell (5-5) an 82-80 lead with 1:08 remaining. The teams traded free throws until it was 84-82 with eight seconds on the clock.
Rhode Island had the final possession, but a last-second jumper from Jeff Dowtin was short as the Rams saw their two-game win streak snapped.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Fatts Russell scored a career-high 26 points, including 17 in the first half. He added four assists, three rebounds and two steals.
- Junior Cyril Langevine had 20 points and six rebounds. He was limited by foul trouble in the first half, but shot 7-of-11 from the floor.
- Junior Jeff Dowtin had 17 points, eight rebounds, four steals and three assists.
- Freshman Dana Tate scored a career-high nine points. He was a perfect 3-for-3 from 3-point range.
- Freshman Tyrese Martin matched his career high with eight points to go with four rebounds.
- Rhode Island was 8-for-24 from 3-point range. The eight 3-pointers was the team's most since the Rams made 13 against Bryant in the season opener.
- Bucknell was 9-for-20 from the arc, including 7-for-13 in the second half.
- The Rams struggled at the free throw line, shooting just 12-of-23. Bucknell was 19-for-26 at the line.
- The game featured 15 lead changes and 10 ties.
Rhody will take on Charlotte Sunday at 12:30 a.m. EST on ESPNU.