Feb 19, 2018
RHODE ISLAND VS. LA SALLE - SERIES NOTES
- Friday will be the 37th game all time between Rhode Island and La Salle, with Rhody holding a 27-9 edge.
- Rhody has won two straight and seven of the last eight meetings, including an 74-62 victory on Jan. 3.
- Redshirt senior E.C. Matthews scored a season-high 24 points and grabbed six rebounds on 10-for-17 shooting from the field and 3-for-5 from three-point range in the first meeting. Senior Jared Terrell added 14 points, two assists, five rebounds and four steals.
- Rhody has won four straight at Gola Arena. The last time Rhody lost at La Salle was a 72-62 defeat on Jan. 15, 2014.
- La Salle's B.J. Johnson is the third leading scorer in the Atlantic 10, averaging 20.5 points per game. He also ranks fourth in the conference with 8.0 rebounds per game.
- La Salle snapped a three-game losing skid by beating George Mason 69-62 in its last game.
- The Explorers rank last in 3-point field goal defense (.396) while the Rams are fourth in 3-point shooting (.364).
GAME TO AIR ON CBSSN
- Tuesday's game will air on CBSSN.
- Tom McCarthy will handle the play-by-play and Alaa Abdelnaby will be the color analyst.
- This will be Rhode Island's sixth appearance on CBSSN this season. The Rams are 5-0 on the network thus far, winning against Providence, at Saint Louis, at Dayton, at Massachusetts and against Richmond.
MATTHEWS MOVES INTO RHODY'S TOP FIVE IN POINTS
- Redshirt senior E.C. Matthews scored 14 points at St. Bonaventure, giving him 1,765 for his career.
- He is tied with Jimmy Baron (2005-09) for fifth place in program history.
- Matthews needs 13 points to pass Sly Williams (1,777 from 1976-79) for fourth place.
- With four regular season games plus the postseason remaining, Matthews also has a shot to catch Ernie Calverly (1943-46) for third place. Calverly scored 1,868 points. Matthews would need 103 points to catch Calverly.
LANGEVINE DOMINATING IN THE PAINT
- Sophomore Cyril Langevine has shown an improved offensive game over the last six contests, shooting an eye-popping .880 (22-of-25) from the floor.
- He has scored in double digits in each of the last four contests, averaging 12.8 points per game over the span.
- In his last six contests, he is averaging 7.7 rebounds and has blocked eight shots.
- In conference play, he leads the team with 7.4 rebounds per game.
- In Atlantic 10 games, Langevine is shooting a team-best .745 from the field (35-for-47).
- All of his production has come while averaging 19.3 minutes per game in conference play. In all but one of those games, Langevine came off the bench.