How It Happened
Rhode Island used hot shooting from the outside in the first half and a strong second half post presence to power past Davidson, 84-60, earning a trip to the Atlantic 10 Championship game.
The Rams trailed for a total of 24 seconds after a Davidson trey made it 3-2 a minute into the contest. But Rhody would respond quickly and from beyond the arc, connecting on 3-pointers in three of its next four possessions, taking a 13-7 lead before the first media timeout.
The Wildcats got as close as three points - 22-19 - with 9:04 to go in the half before Rhode Island scored 11 unanswered and took a double-digit lead for the remainder of the contest. Rhody led 46-34 at the break.
Midway through the second half, a 12-0 Rams run, capped by a Stanford Robinson layup, made it 65-43 with 10:02 to play. Rhody led by as many as 29 points, after Kuran Iverson converted a pair of free throws at the 6:08 mark, making it 78-49.
Inside the Box Score
- E.C. Matthews led the Rams with 19 points. Matthews' posted an efficient stat line, taking just nine shots on the afternoon, making five. He was 4-for-4 from the outside and 5-for-5 from the charity stripe.
- Hassan Martin had 16 points (8-15 FG), six rebounds, and two steals. The Rams now move to 13-1 when the Super Mario Brothers each score in double figures.
- Kuran Iverson added 12 points on 4-of-4 shooting from the floor. He also corralled four boards in 17 minutes.
- Jeff Dowtin added seven points (3-5 FG) and a team-high six assists in 26 minutes. Over the last three games, Dowtin has dished out 10 assists to go with zero turnovers.
- Jared Terrell added nine points, six boards, three assists and a steal in 28 minutes.
- Rhody's reserves scored 21 points, led by eight points from Stanford Robinson and five points, four boards, and four assists from Nicola Akele.
- For the game, Rhode Island connected on 49.2% from the floor (30-61) - including close to 60% in the first half (16-27).
- Rhody made 12-of-16 free throws (75%) and drained 12-of-20 3-point attempts (60%).
- Rhode Island moves to 23-9 and wins at least 23 games for the fifth time in program history.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
36 and 36 - Rhode Island scored 36 points in the paint and 36 points from the perimeter.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
8-0 - Rhode Island improved to 8-0 when Jeff Dowtin has at least four assists.
Rhode Island will make its fifth all-time appearance in the Atlantic 10 Championship game - and first appearance since 2007 - on Sunday afternoon.
The game will air nationally on CBS, with Verne Lundquist, Jim Spanarkel and Allie LaForce. Tipoff is set for 12:30 p.m.
The game can be heard live locally on the Rhody Sports Network on B101 (101.5 FM) and through the iHeartMedia app, with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.