Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: vs. St. Bonaventure
TV: NBC Sports Network
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS ST. BONAVENTURE
- Rhody holds a 37-28 edge all-time in the all-time series, dating back to 1960-61.
- In the regular season, the Rams earned a 71-59 win on Jan. 28 in Kingston.
- The Rams are 1-2 all-time vs. the Bonnies on a neutral site.
- The two teams met once previously in the A-10 Championship, with St. Bona earning a 60-55 victory on March 6, 1985 at the RAC in Piscataway, N.J.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CHAMPIONSHIP
- URI enters the 2017 A-10 Championship tied for third place and with the #4 seed.
- It marks the second time in the last three years that Rhody has earned one of the top four seeds and the bye into the quarterfinals.
- Last year as the #7 seed, Rhode Island fell, 67-62, to #10 Massachusetts at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
- Rhode Island advanced to the A-10 Championship semifinals in 2014, falling, 56-52, to #2 seeded Dayton.
- The Rams have advanced to the A-10 Championship semifinals 12 times (4-8) and the title game on four occasions (1-3).
- In 2007, #4 seeded Rhode Island faced #3 George Washington in the A-10 title game in Atlantic City, N.J.
- In 1999, Rhode Island won its only Atlantic 10 title, after Lamar Odom hit a 35-foot jumper as time expired, beating Temple, 62-59.
- In 55 games all-time in the Atlantic 10 Championship, the Rams are 22-33.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE - REGULAR SEASON
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81, Rhode Island has posted a 275-324 all-time mark in Atlantic 10 regular season play.
- Rhode Island finished with a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record this season.
- The 13 Atlantic 10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Rhody went 7-2 on the road in Atlantic 10 play this season, tying a school record (7 - 1987-88).
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 in Atlantic 10 play and the #7 seed in the 2016 Atlantic 10 Championship.
- Since 2014-15, Rhode Island is 35-19 (.648) in Atlantic 10 regular season games.
RHODE ISLAND'S TOURNAMENT RESUME: A SNAPSHOT OF SOME OF THE KEY NUMBERS (THRU MARCH 6)
- NCAA RPI: 42 | KenPom: 51 | KPI: 47 | ESPN BPI: 39 | Sagarin: 52 | Composite Average: 45.8
- RPI: Record vs. 1-25: 2-3 | vs. 51-100: 2-4 | vs. 101-125: 5-0 | vs. 126-150: 2-1
- URI's overall strength of schedule (SOS) ranks 55th nationally. The Rams' non-conference SOS is 24th.
- The Rams highest-rated win of the season: Cincinnati (RPI: 13 | KenPom: 20 | KPI: 19 | ESPN BPI: 17 | Sagarin: 18)
- Rhody owns another top 25 RPI win: VCU (RPI: 23 | KenPom: 48 | KPI: 24 | ESPN BPI: 38 | Sagarin: 48)
- URI's lowest-rated loss of the season: Fordham (RPI: 211 | KenPom: 196 | KPI: 202 | ESPN BPI: 210 | Sagarin: 184)
- Average RPI of opponents: 132 | Average RPI wins: 157 | Average RPI losses: 73 | Opponent SOS: 85
- Ken Pom: Record vs. 1-25: 1-1 | vs. 26-50: 1-3 | vs. 51-100: 4-3 | vs. 101-125: 3-0
- KPI: Record vs. 1-25: 2-3 | vs. 26-50: 0-1 | vs. 51-100: 2-3 | vs. 101-125: 6-1
- BPI: Record vs. 1-25: 1-1 | vs. 26-50: 1-3 | vs. 51-100: 4-2 | vs. 101-125: 2-1
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Rhode Island's non-conference strength of schedule is ranked 24th nationally. URI's overall strength of schedule is 55th.
- URI has faced six RPI top 100 non-conference foes - Cincinnati (13), Duke (14), Houston (50), Providence (52), Belmont (61), Valpo (77).
- The average RPI of the teams in the nine losses this season - 73. Total point differential in losses - 58 points (6.4 ppg avg. differential).
- Four A-10 opponents also rank among the top 100 RPI: Dayton (21), VCU (23), Richmond (85), and St. Bonaventure (90).
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 10 top 100 RPI opponents (11 total games).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - MARCH 10
- Rhode Island is 2-4 all-time in games played on March 10. Five of the six games came in Atlantic 10 championship play.
- Rhody played George Washington in the A-10 title game on March 10, 2007, falling 78-69 to the Colonials in Atlantic City.
- Last year, the Rams dropped a 67-62 decision to Massachusetts on March 10, 2016 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
- On this date: in 1862, the United States issued its first paper money; Ulysses S. Grant became commander of the Union armies during the Civil War in 1864; the Pittsburgh Courier begins publishing in 1910; James Earl Ray pleads guilty to the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.; "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" debuted on the WB Network in 1997.
- March 10 marks the tri-celebration of National Blueberry Popover Day, National Mario Day, and National Pack Your Lunch Day.
- Notable March 10 birthdays: singer Carrie Underwood, actress Sharon Stone, rap producer Timbaland, and Chuck Norris.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Rhode Island closed the regular season with five straight wins for the first time since the 1996-97 season.
- Hassan Martin is the first Rhode Island player to tally 17 or more rebounds in a game on three occasions in the same season since Art Stephenson did so during the 1967-68 season.
- Rhode Island is the only team in the country to have three different players tally at least 17 rebounds in a single game this season.
HASSAN MARTIN: TWO-TIME ATLANTIC 10 DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR; SECOND TEAM ALL-ATLANTIC 10
- Hassan Martin became the fifth player to win back-to-back Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Year awards.
- The others: Briante Weber (VCU), Damien Saunders (Duquesne), Stephane Lasme (UMass), and Tony Dobbins (Richmond).
- Martin became the first player to lead the league in blocks for four straight years, averaging 2.64 swats per contest in 2016-17.
- Through 25 games played, Martin blocked 66 shots - an average of 2.64 blocks per game. That figure ranks him 11th nationally.
- For his career, he has compiled 314 career blocks, which ranks second all-time at Rhode Island and eighth-best in A-10 history.
- He was also selected to his third A-10 All-Defensive team and made his second appearance on the All-A-10 second team.
- Martin averaged 14.0 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2.64 blocks, while connecting on close to 60% of his field goal attempts.
- He registered five double-doubles in points and rebounds and three games with 17 or more rebounds.
E.C. MATTHEWS: ALL-A-10 HONORS FOR THE THIRD TIME IN HIS CAREER
- E.C. Matthews earned a spot on the A-10's all-conference third team, returning to the court after missing the 2015-16 season.
- Matthews led a balanced Rams offense in scoring, averaging 14.4 points per game - good for 14th in the league.
- The Detroit native was the first of three Rhody players to reach the 1,000 point milestone this season.
- The junior scored in double-figures in 22 of 30 games. The Rams compiled a 12-1 record in games where he scored 17 or more points.
- Matthews has earned a spot on one of the All-Atlantic 10 postseason teams in each of his three full seasons.
- He was the 2013-104 A-10 Co-Rookie of the Year and earned a spot on the All-A-10 second team as a sophomore in 2014-15.
JEFF DOWTIN: ANOTHER A-10 ALL-ROOKIE SELECTION FOR RHODE ISLAND
- Jeff Dowtin became the 16th URI player - and the fourth during the Dan Hurley era - to earn a spot on the A-10 All-Rookie team.
- Dowtin started the final 14 games of the season at point guard, averaging 5.5 points, 2.3 rebounds, 3.6 assists, and 1.0 steals.
- He led the conference in assist/turnover ratio in conference play, recording 55 assists to just 19 turnovers - good for a 3.24:1 ratio.
- The 6-3 guard was a two-time A-10 rookie of the week and tallied double figures on five occasions in conference play/
- He scored a season-high 19 points at Davidson and posted a season-high seven assists in games at George Mason and at La Salle.
- Rhode Island was 7-0 when Dowtin had at least four assists.
MARTIN, MATTHEWS EARN USBWA ALL-DISTRICT 1 HONORS
- Hassan Martin and E.C. Matthews were selected to the United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) All-District I team.
- It marks the second time the Rhody duo were named to the USBWA All-District I team, repeating the feat during the 2014-15 season.
- Last year, Jared Terrell and Jarvis Garrett each earned USBWA All-District 1 honors.
THE DEFENSE NEVER RESTS
- Rhode Island holds the defensive "triple crown" in 2016-17, leading the A-10 in scoring defense, FG% defense, and 3FG% defense.
- Rhody has led the A-10 in scoring defense in each of the three previous seasons. This year, URI is yielding 65.2 ppg (36th in NCAA).
- Saint Louis was the last team to accomplish the feat (2011-14). For four straight years (1997-01), Temple led the A-10 in scoring D.
- Additionally, the Rams are holding opponents to 40.9% shooting from the floor (38th NCAA) and 29.4% from 3FG (3rd NCAA).
- URI held 10 opponents under 60 points - including eight games in Atlantic 10 play. The Rams were 9-1 in those games.