How It Happened
Rhode Island tied a school record with its seventh road win in Atlantic 10 play, with a 68-49 victory at Saint Joseph's on Wednesday night. The Rams posted a 7-2 mark in road contests in conference play in 2016-17, matching the program standard set during the 1987-88 season.
Rhody's defense forced Saint Joseph's into turnovers on its first two possessions - and three of the first four. Leading 9-5 at the 16:26 mark, the Rams used an 8-0 run to jump out to a 12-point lead. Cyril Langevine's layup with 12:00 to go in the first half made it 17-5.
Another layup by Langevine with 3:28 to go in the period gave Rhode Island its largest lead of the half - 17 points - at 34-17. Rhody would lead 36-20 at the break.
The Hawks connected on 3-of-5 to start the second half, cutting it to 13 points - 40-27 - less than three minutes in. Rhody would call timeout at the 16:25 mark to settle down and regroup. The Rams built as much as a 22-point lead - 68-46 - after a Kuran Iverson layup with under two minutes to go made it 68-46.
Inside the Box Score
- Three Rhode Island players scored in double-digits, led by E.C. Matthews' 13 points. The junior guard added two rebounds and two assists in 30 minutes.
- Hassan Martin narrowly missed a double-double, with 12 points and nine boards. Martin connected on 4-of-6 from the floor to go along with two assists.
- Kuran Iverson added 11 points, seven boards, and two blocks.
- Jarvis Garrett provided a spark off the bench for Rhode Island, adding four points, four rebounds, four assists, and three steals in 20 minutes.
- The Rams bench scored 27 points on the night - led by seven points apiece from Nicola Akele and Stanford Robinson. Robinson added three rebounds, three assists, two steals and a blocked shot.
- Cyril Langevine connected on all three of his field goal attempts, good for six points. He also had three boards and two assists.
- For the game, Rhode Island connected on 43.9% from the floor (25-57) and just 4-of-26 from the perimeter. URI made 14-of-15 from the foul line, including 14 in a row after a miss to start the game.
- Rhode Island outrebounded Saint Joseph's, 39-26, and scored 15 second-chance points off 11 offensive boards.
- URI dished out 16 assists on 25 made field goals and scored 34 of 68 points in the paint.
- The Rams did not trail on the evening.
Stat of the Game, pt. I
15-of-17 - Rhode Island connected on 88.2% of its 2-point field goal attempts in the first half.
Stat of the Game, pt. II
Jan. 11, 2011 - Rhody earned its first win at Hawk Hill since the 2010-11 season.
Rhode Island closes out the 2016-17 regular season on Saturday evening when it hosts Davidson. The Rams and Wildcats tipoff at at 6 p.m. and the game will air live nationally on the American Sports Network.
Prior to tipoff - at approximately 5:40 p.m. - a trio of seniors will be honored - team manager Jerrell Coleman, Kuran Iverson, and Hassan Martin.
Additionally, the 2017 URI Athletics Hall of Fame class of inductees will be recognized at halftime.
The game can be heard live locally on the Rhody Sports Network on B101 (101.5 FM) and through the iHeartMedia app, with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.